Bhai Dooj 2017: Divine Mark That Strengthens Your Bond!
Glorious festival of Bhai Dooj, which signifies the eternal bond of a brother and sister, is scheduled to be celebrated on October 21, 2017. The Tika is a sign of belongingness, love, affection and good wishes to a brother. In return, sister receives her brothers' protection, care and affection. Find out how the divine mark acts a protector...
Bhai Dooj 2017 date is 21 October. The festival of Bhai Dooj is celebrated on the fifth day of the festival of Diwali. As per the Hindu calendar, Bhai Dooj is celebrated on the New Moon day of the bright fortnight of Shukla Paksha, in the Hindu Kartik month. Bhai Dooj is almost similar to Raksha Bandhan, which expresses the love and bond between a brother and his sister. Bhai Dooj is celebrated by brothers and sisters with same love, affection and care.
Bhaiya Dooj in 2017 is approaching. In this article, we will be discussing the significance of Bhai Dooj and the legends associated with it.
Before proceeding forward, let's know what are the different names of Bhaiya Dooj.
Bhai Dooj: Different Names
Bhaiya Dooj is known by different names in different parts of the country and globe. We bring to you all the names for festival of Bhai Dooj.
|Bhai Phota||Bengal||Bhai Phota is celebrated on first & second day of Kali Puja|
|Bhai Dooj, , Bhau-beej or Bhav Bij||Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa & Karnataka||Celebrated post Diwali|
|Bhai Tika / Bhai Teeka||Nepal||Bhai Tika is celebrated post Vijaya Dashami|
Bhaiya Dooj is also known as Bhathru Dwitiya, Bhartri Ditya, or Yama Dwitiya. These are some of the names of Bhaiya Dooj. Bhai Dooj is celebrated throughout the nation with different names.
But, to celebrate the festival of Bhaiya Dooj, you should also understand its historical significance. Let's delve more into its significance and legends associated with Bhai Dooj.
Bhai Dooj: Legends
Since the ancient times, the scriptures and epics have depicted various stories attached to the festival of Bhai Dooj.
Let us first tell you a the story of Yama and Yamuna:
The Story: Yama & Yamuna
As per the Hindu mythology, Bhai Dooj is also known as "Yama Dwitiya". The reason behind this is that Yamraj (Lord of Death) visited his sister Yami (Yamuna) on the day of Bhaiya Dooj . Yami put a Tilak (vermilion mark) on Yama's forehead and prayed for his well being. In return, Yama presented some gifts to Yamuna, as a token of her prayers and good wishes. Since then, the day of Bhai Dooj holds a great significance for brothers and sisters. Hence, it is believed that if any brother receives a tilak from his sister, he will never face any hurdle throughout his life and post his death.
Another legend holds an important association to the festival of Bhai Dooj is Lord Krishna and his sister Subhadra.
The Story: Lord Krishna & Subhadra
On the day of Bhaiya Dooj, Lord Krishna returned to Dwarka after killing the demon Narakasura. Subhadra, the sister of Lord Krishna welcomed her brother with lamps, flowers, sweets and put a mark (Tilak) on his forehead, as a sign of protection. Since then, on the day of Bhai Dooj, every sister puts a vermilion mark on her brother's forehead. In return, every brother promises her sister's' protection and gives her some gifts. These gifts are an expression of love from a brother to his sister.
Similar to any other Hindu festival, the festival of Bhaiya Dooj has more than one legend associated with it. But, the real significance behind celebrating this is the eternal bond which is shared between brother and sister. This year, Bhaiya Dooj will again be celebrated by remembering these legends.
No festival is complete without its rituals. Various rituals are performed while celebrating the festival of Bhai Dooj in different parts of the country.
Let's know the Bhaiya Dooj rituals for Bhai Phota.
Bhaiya Dooj In 2017: Rituals
These are some of the major rituals followed during Bhai Dooj ceremony throughout the globe.
- A Puja Thali is prepared by the sister before beginning the Bhai Dooj ceremony. During, the festival, readymade Thalis are also available in the market. These Thalli are used for performing Puja rituals. This Bhai Dooj, if you were not able to prepare the Puja Thali, you can always explore the nearest market.
- The Tika (vermilion mark on the forehead) is prepared. Tika is made with sandal paste, Kumkum or vermilion, and a few rice grains. While celebrating Bhai Dooj, don't forget to prepare the Tika with these contents.
- Special sweets are prepared by sisters and kept in the Puja Thali.
- Sister then puts the Tilak on her brother's' forehead by praying for his wellness and protection. Bhai Phota Mantra is chanted by the sister while performing the ceremony.
- Post this Bhai Dooj ceremony, brother in return present his sister some gifts, as an expression of love and pledges to protect her throughout her life.
"Bhratus Tabaa Grajaataaham, Bhunksa Bhaktamidam
Shuvam Preetaye Yama Rajasya Yamuna Visheshta."
This Bhaiya Dooj, we will witness all these rituals being performed in different parts of the country.
Now, you know everything in brief about this glorious festival. Let's know what we can expect on this Bhai Dooj.
Bhaiya Dooj : Celebration Across The Country
Bhai Dooj is a festival celebrated in various regions by different names. The variation in the names is because of the regional differentiation. Let's have a look at the celebrations in various parts of the country and globe before we celebrate Bhai Dooj.
Bhaiya Dooj: Celebration In Bengal
In Bengal, Bhai Dooj is known as Bhai Phota. On this day, sisters observe a fast before putting the Tilak on their brothers' forehead. The Tilak is prepared with Kumkum, rice and new grass.
We all will look forward to the same celebration this Bhaiya Dooj.
Bhaiya Dooj: Celebration In Maharashtra
Bhai Dooj is celebrated in Maharashtra and Goa as Bhau Beej or Bhaubeej. Bhau is synonym to brother in Maharashtra.
Bhaiya Dooj: Celebration In Uttar Pradesh
In Uttar Pradesh, sisters are gifted with an 'Aab' (a length of flax, knotted into a circular shape and dotted with sugar Batashas (circular sweet drop), post which, they put Tilak on their brother's forehead. This ritual of Aab is extremely popular in Uttar Pradesh and is observed in almost every household on Bhaiya Dooj.
This Bhaiya Dooj, we all will witness the same celebration in the various parts of Uttar Pradesh.
Bhaiya Dooj: Celebration In Bihar
One most interesting variation of Bhai Dooj is observed in Bihar, where the ritual starts with sister cursing her brother, before asking for his forgiveness. This ritual is basically performed for the past mistakes done by her brother. Post this, the sister applies Tilak on the brother's forehead and feed him with sweets.
Bhai Dooj is a very important festival and is celebrated with a lot of enthusiasm and zeal.
Bhaiya Dooj: Celebration In Nepal
Bhaiya Dooj in Nepal is known as Bhai Tihar, which means 'Tihar of brothers'. Where Tihar means Tilak or Tika. Bhaiya Dooj is also known as Bhai Tika. On this day, sisters apply seven different colors of Tika to their brothers and pray for their long life, health & prosperity.
Bhai Tihar is celebrated in the various parts of Nepal. Sisters eagerly wait for their gifts, post the ceremony of Bhai Tihar. The same eagerness is witnessed during the festival of Bhai Dooj.
Although Bhaiya Dooj is celebrated by using different methods across the country, but the significance of the festival remains same throughout, as the festival of Bhai Dooj strengthens the enduring bond of brother and sister.
Bhaiya Dooj is a festival which unites the relationship of siblings. Celebrate Bhai Phota with same emotions of love and care.
This Bhaiya Dooj, share your joy and happiness with your loved ones.
AstroSage wishes all its readers a very Happy Bhai Dooj..!
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- Weekly Horoscope (12 - 18 August 2019)
- Amit Shah’s Kundli Reveals His Luck Factor
- ARTICLE 370 & JAMMU KASHMIR: ASTROLOGY REVEALS THE FATE OF J&K
- HIMA DAS IN OLYMPICS 2020: WILL DHING EXPRESS WIN ANOTHER GOLD?
- WILL M.S. DHONI RETIRE THIS YEAR? ASTROLOGY REVEALS IT ALL!
- HEART DISEASES: YOUR BIRTH CHART MAY BE RESPONSIBLE!
- TUBERCULOSIS: DISCOVER THE ASTROLOGICAL REASONS AND REMEDIES FOR T.B.
- Movie Review: John Abraham’s Batla House Creates A Patriotic Buzz
- Movie Review: Will Jabariya Jodi Weave Its Magic At the Box Office?
- Retrograde Mercury Transited in Gemini!
- Venus Transiting in Cancer Today, Know Its Impact
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल (12 से 18 अगस्त, 2019)
- अश्वत्थ मारुती पूजन आज, जानें हिन्दू धर्म में आज का दिन क्यों है ख़ास
- अशून्य शयन व्रत आज: जानें मुहूर्त, पूजा विधि और ज़रूरी नियम !
- शनिवार के दिन करें ये ख़ास उपाय, मिलेगी तरक्की और समृद्धि !
- ‘ढिंग एक्सप्रेस’ हिमा दास ओलंपिक 2020 में भी बनेगी गोल्डन गर्ल?
- संक्रांति विशेष: जानें सूर्य और शनि ग्रह क्यों हैं एक-दूसरे के शत्रु
- पूजा के लिए भूलकर भी ना करें स्टील के बर्तनों का प्रयोग, जानें आखिर क्या है वजह !
- शुक्रवार विशेष: माता लक्ष्मी की कृपा पाने के लिए अवश्य करें ये काम
- ग्रह दशा बिगड़ने से भी हो सकते हैं आप टी.बी रोग के शिकार
- मधुमेह के ज्योतिषीय कारण और उपाय !