Ekadashi 2017 Dates: The Divine Troubleshooter Day
Are you trapped amidst problems? Do you repent doing a sin? Don't worry; we have brought you each and every detail about Ekadashi 2017 that will definitely lead you to attain a blissful life ahead and your sins will smoothly get washed away. Read on...
The word Ekadashi has been derived from Sanskrit language where Ekadashi means the 'eleventh day' of the Hindu calendar . Ekadashi occurs twice in a month. Hence, all in all there are 24 Ekadashis in a year. Ekadashi is observed once in Shukla Paksha ( the period of the waxing Moon ) and also, in the Krishna Paksha (t he period of the waning Moon) each month in a year.
Ekadashi is also known as 'Ekadasi', 'Hari Vasara', and 'Hari Din'. The Tithi of Ekadashi is devoted to Lord Vishnu . Devotees all around the country and globe, observe fast on this day. This fast is known as 'Ekadashi Vrat'.
Before proceeding with more details about Ekadashi Vrat, let's first know the types of Ekadashis that will be observed by the devotees during this year, in 2017.
Calendar of the Ekadashi Dates in 2017
Below mentioned are the Ekadashi Vrat dates in 2017:
|8 January||Sunday||Pausha Putrada Ekadashi|
|23 January||Monday||Shattila Ekadashi|
|7 February||Tuesday||Jaya Ekadashi|
|22 February||Wednesday||Vijaya Ekadashi (Vaishnav)|
|8 March||Wednesday||Amalaki Ekadashi|
|24 March||Friday||Papamochani Ekadashi|
|7 April||Friday||Kamada Ekadashi|
|22 April||Saturday||Varuthini Ekadashi|
|6 May||Saturday||Mohini Ekadashi|
|22 May||Monday||Apara Ekadashi|
|5 June||Monday||Nirjala Ekadashi|
|20 June||Tuesday||Yogini Ekadashi (Smarth)|
|4 July||Tuesday||Devshayani Ekadashi (Vaishnav)|
|19 July||Wednesday||Kamika Ekadashi|
|3 August||Thursday||Pavitra Ekadashi|
|18 August||Friday||Aja Ekadashi|
|2 September||Saturday||Parsva/Parivartini Ekadashi|
|16 September||Saturday||Indira Ekadashi|
|1 October||Sunday||Papankusha Ekadashi (Vaishnav)|
|15 October||Sunday||Rama Ekadashi|
|31 October||Tuesday||Devutthana Ekadashi|
|14 November||Tuesday||Utpanna Ekadashi|
|30 November||Thursday||Mokshada Ekadashi|
|13 December||Wednesday||Saphla Ekadashi|
Ekadashi : Ekadashi In Its Varied Forms
Ekadashi 2017 dates are with you now. You can click on above mentioned link of the Ekadashis' in order to know more about the rituals and its significance of a particular Ekadashi Vrat.
As Ekadashi is observed twice in a month, below mentioned are the different types of Ekadashi as per the Vaisnava and Gregorian calendars, respectively.
|Ekadashi (Krishna Paksha)||Vaishnava Month||Gregorian Month Calendar||Ekadashi (Shukla Paksha)|
|Papamochani Ekadashi||Chaitra||April-May||Kamada Ekadashi|
|Varuthini Ekadashi||Vaisakha||May-June||Mohini Ekadashi|
|Apara Ekadashi||Jyeshta||June-July||Nirjala Ekadashi|
|Yogini Ekadashi||Ashaad||July-August||Shayani Ekadashi|
|Kamika Ekadashi||Shravana||August-September||Shravana Putrada Ekadashi|
|Ananda Ekadashi||Bhadrapada||September-October||Parsva Ekadashi|
|Indira Ekadashi||Ashvin||October-November||Papankusha Ekadashi|
|Rama Ekadashi||Kartik||November-December||Prabodhini Ekadashi|
|Vaikunta Ekadashi||Margashirsha||December-January||Mokshada Ekadashi|
|Saphala Ekadashi||Pausha||January-February||Pausha Putrada Ekadashi|
|Sat Tila Ekadashi||Maagha||February-March||Bhaimi Ekadashi|
|Utpanna Ekadashi||Phalguna||March-April||Amalaki Ekadashi|
|Parama Ekadashi||Adhika month||Once in 2-3 years||Padmini Visuddha Ekadashi|
Now, we hope that you have become aware of the varied forms of Ekadashis celebrated in a year, let's know, when they will be celebrated in 2017.
Moving on, let's take a look as to why the 11th day of the Hindu calendar is known as Ekadashi and who are its legends.
Ekadashi : Legends Of Ekadashi
According to Hindu mythology, when Lord Vishnu was in Yoga Nidra (sound sleep), Murdanava, demon challenged him to get indulged in a war. In response to this, a damsel got incarnated from Lord Vishnu's eleventh sense (Ekadash Indris). Murdanav got attracted to damsel and longed to marry her.
On knowing Murdanava's intention, the damsel placed a condition that he will have to fight with her in order to marry her. He agreed on it very proudly thinking he would win over her easily. In the fight, the damsel defeated Murdanava and killed him. Lord Vishnu, on knowing about this event, was extremely happy and pleased by the damsel. He granted her a boon that she would be known as Ekadashi. He further announced that devotees of Lord Vishnu would observe a fast on the day in remembrance of that event. Since then, Ekadashi came into being.
Ekadashi : Rituals Of Ekadashi Vrat
Before observing Ekadashi Vrat, you need to know the rituals of this day. Read on these rituals:
- On the day of Ekadashi, idol of Lord Vishnu are worshiped. In the morning, devotees clean the idol with Panchamrit: milk, curd, ghee, honey and sugar. Post which, the idol is washed with water and dressed in new clothes.
- Flowers, incense sticks, and sweets are offered to Lord Vishnu and his Avatars.
- Charity work is usually performed on the day of Ekadashi Vrat. The items which can be donated are clothes, foodgrains, umbrellas, hand-fans, pitchers filled with water, gold etc.
- On the day of Ekadashi, food items made of rice are not consumed. Whereas, on Dwadashi (next day of Ekadashi), eating items prepared from rice is considered extremely good.
- Lord Vishnu Mantras are chanted throughout the day and people visit Lord Vishnu temples.
Ekadashi : Ekadashi Vrat Katha
Ekadashi Vrat Katha is considered to be an important element that is followed during Vrat. It actually consists of tales that inspire the followers of Ekadashi Vrat. It tells about the importance of observing the Ekadashi fast. Take a look at some of the tales that are included in the collections of Ekadashi Vrat Katha:
- In this Katha, Lord Krishna is believed to reveal the path of attaining salvation.
- The powerful influence of Ekadashi is narrated in Ekadashi Vrat Katha.
- The consequence of getting fascinated by material pleasures is described in Katha.
- It has been said in Ekadashi Vrat Katha that one can free himself/herself from worldly concerns by observing Vrat.
Let's now take a look at the section that describes about food delicacies for the days of Ekadashi.
Some of the food items which should be and should not be consumed on the day of Ekadashi Vrat are listed below:
|Food Items To Be Consumed On Ekadashi||Food Items Not To Be Consumed On Ekadashi|
|All fruits, nuts, potatoes, sweet potatoes, coconut, milk, milk products, black pepper, rock salt, Sabudana, fresh ginger, olives||All grains(barley, rice,millet, urad), dal, custard, baking soda, baking powder, sesame seeds, cloves, mustard and normal/ day to day food items|
The Ekadashi Vrat is observed for the entire day. Hence, during Ekadashi, do not forget all these significant rituals while observing Ekadashi Vrat.
Ekadashi Vrat 2017: Benefits
Some of the benefits of Ekadashi Vrat are as follows:
- According to 'Markandeya Purana' and 'Vishnu Purana', if a devotee observes an Ekadashi Vrat, his/ her past sins are washed away.
- By worshiping Lord Krishna (incarnation of Lord Vishnu) on the day of Ekadashi, a devotee earns immense merits.
- Ekadashi Vrat helps a person in attaining the path of spirituality and leads him/ her to the path of salvation.
Observance of Ekadashi will keep you protected throughout your life. Observing a fast is one's personal outlook. Almighty only wants a true, faithful and a honest devotee who has complete faith and devotion towards his Lord. Hence, one must only honor the Lord if he/she has a true, devout heart.
Hopefully, with the help of this article, you will be able to observe Ekadashi with full trust, devotion, belief and dedication.
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- Horoscope 2023
- राशिफल 2023
- Calendar 2023
- Holidays 2023
- Chinese Horoscope 2023
- Education Horoscope 2023
- Purnima 2023
- Amavasya 2023
- Shubh Muhurat 2023
- Marriage Muhurat 2023
- Chinese Calendar 2023
- Bank Holidays 2023
- राशि भविष्य 2023 - Rashi Bhavishya 2023 Marathi
- ராசி பலன் 2023 - Rasi Palan 2023 Tamil
- వార్షిక రాశి ఫలాలు 2023 - Rasi Phalalu 2023 Telugu
- રાશિફળ 2023 - Rashifad 2023
- ജാതകം 2023 - Jathakam 2023 Malayalam
- ৰাশিফল 2023 - Rashifal 2023 Assamese
- ରାଶିଫଳ 2023 - Rashiphala 2023 Odia
- রাশিফল 2023 - Rashifol 2023 Bengali
- ವಾರ್ಷಿಕ ರಾಶಿ ಭವಿಷ್ಯ 2023 - Rashi Bhavishya 2023 Kannada