Krishna Janmashtami 2017: Mischievous Krishna Is Born!
Krishnashtami is celebrated to mark the birthday of Lord Krishna on the 8th day of Krishna Paksha in the Hindu month of Bhadrapada. As per the Gregorian Calendar, it will be observed on 14th of August in 2017. On this day, devotees worship the child form of Lord Krishna who is also known as Laddu Gopal, Bal Gopal, etc. to know more, read this article only on AstroSage...
Arrival Of Govinda
Janmashtami is one of the most awaited festivals. Hence, 2017 is expected to bring much color and festivity with the arrival of Lord Krishna this year. Janmashtami celebrates the incarnation of goodness on earth in the form of Lord Krishna. Krishna is the synonym of ‘enchanter’, such was the depiction of Lord Krishna in mythological evidences that it matches well with his name. Lord Krishna is also known as Kanha or Govinda.
So, get ready for all the mischiefs and enchantments on Janmashtami.
The name Krishna belongs to the lunar calendar, as he was born on the eighth day or Ashtami of Krishna Paksha (dark fortnight). Krishna Janmashtami is celebrated in the eighth day of the Bhadrapada month. Since, it celebrates the birth of Lord Krishna, the day is also popular as Krishna Janmashtami.
When we spell Kanha, his visual image comes to our mind - a godly being with a flute across his lips and a feather around his head. The most striking feature of Lord Krishna is his ability to maintain the bridge between mischievousness and spirituality.
The day is celebrated to honor Lord Krishna by singing devotional songs and arranging grand celebration. This includes Dahi Handi, Raas Leela, etc. Krishna or Govinda had been an enchanter with his mischievousness and spirituality, hence Krishna Janmashtami is devoted in a way that balances both, joy and devotion.
But, who is Krishna and how his deeds turn a mischievous boy into a God? Let’s read below to know the actual reason(s) behind Sri Jayanti or Krishna Janmashtami celebrations.
Why Is Krishna Janmashtami Celebrated?
The legend dates back to the era when Kansa was the King of Mathura. The people of his kingdom were treated with cruelty by the King and life-satisfaction in Mathura had become uncommon. Kansa got the oracle that Kansa will be facing death from the eighth child born to Devaki, his sister and her husband, Vasudeva. This provoked him and he started on a killing spree. While the first six children were already killed by Kansa, the seventh boy, Balarama was born. Mystically, Vasudeva’s seventh child got transferred to Rohini’s womb (Vasudeva’s second wife) from Devaki’s womb. This saved the fate of the child.
Lord Krishna was born as their eighth child. It is now celebrated as Janmashtami or Krishnashtami. As Devaki and Vasudeva were in great fear that Kansa would kill their eighth child too, Vasudeva took a desperate step to save Krishna. He decided to shelter Krishna at Gokul to his friend, Nand.
On his way, he had to cross the Yamuna river and he held Krishna in a small basket. Since the sea was stormy and this turbulence hurdled in his way, Sheshnaag protected the infant Krishna under his fangs and helped the duo to cross the river.
Lord Krishna was actually brought up by Nand and Yashoda. When he grew up, Kansa got killed by his hands. This freed the mankind from terror and celebrated the dusk of evil.
Lord Krishna was incarnated as the 8th Avatar of Lord Vishnu. His incarnation is widely celebrated as the day of joy and happiness. Let’s take a look at the jollyness involved with the celebration of Krishna Janmashtmi.
How To Celebrate Krishna Janmashtami?
Janmashtami is the amalgamation of two words Janma and Ashtami. It symbolizes Lord Krishna taking birth on Ashtami. Ashtami means the eighth day of a month. Janmashtami is also popular as Gokulashtami, Sri Krishna Jayanti and Saatam Aatham.
- Janmashtami 2017 Date: August 14, 2017
- Janmashtami 2018 Date: September 2, 2018
- Observances: Fasting, praying and dahi handi.
The day of Krishnashtami is celebrated in vivid patterns. Among all the patterns, there are few that can be highlighted the most. Let’s take a look how Gokulashtami will be celebrated.
Janmashtami in Dwarka
Janmashtami is expected to take a divine form in Dwarka, as always.In Dwarka, celebrations take a devout mood. Here, Dwarkadhish temple is the centre of attraction where devotees worship Lord Krishna on Sri Krishna Janmashtami. Dwarka was the residing place for Lord Krishna for almost a century. After his death, it got submerged into the sea. The city of Dwarka comprises of numerous palaces and was built in just two days by the supreme architect Vishwakarma.
Idols of the deity are decorated with precious ornaments. Lord Krishna is devoted with the commencement of Mangala Arti in morning. It is followed by Bhoga or food offerings that comprises mainly of milk products.
After Krishna’s face gets cleansed, the devotees are given Darshan.
Then, Lord Krishna is bathed. He gets adorned in ornaments.
After Lord Krishna gets dressed up in his godly attires, the curtain gets rolled up and everyone gets the chance to get Darshan (holy sight). Proceeding the traditions, Shringar Bhog is offered to the Lord as the curtains are rolled down again. Devotees line up in eagerness to see him, but the curtain only gets rolled up again after 10:30 p.m. when Lord Krishna gets to sleep.
After 12 midnight, the celebrations of Krishna Janmashtami or Gokulashtami get immersed into joyousness. The whole momentum gets enthusiastic with the phrase “Nand Gher Anand Bhayo, Jay Kanhiya Laal Ki”, as the devotees welcome Lord Krishna.
The celebrations are endowed upon Krishna for two hours. The Dwarkadhish temple gets closed down at 2:30 am. Every year, similar divinity in the celebrations is expected on Janmashtami.
Now, let’s go a bit more west. Dahi Handi is the most popular mode of celebrating Janmashtami or Krishnashtami in Mumbai (Maharashtra).
Dahi Handi (clay pot) is a popular festival in Maharashtra, especially in Mumbai. Dahi Handi is performed on Gokulashtami or Krishna Janmashtmi. On this day, a Handi or a clay pot is filled with butter and yogurt and tied at a height. The Dahi Handi festival symbolizes harmony among its practitioners who form a pyramid on the ground and aims to reach the height where the Handi is tied.
The persons involved in this performance are known as Govinda Pathak. The person standing at the topmost level of the pyramid breaks the Handi or clay pot with a hard object such as a coconut and its contained milk particles fall down. It gets spilled down to the whole group.
“Govinda Ala Re” is a huge cheer that is constantly chanted during the Dahi Handi performance. The Dahi Handi is celebrated with extreme devotion and it adds great fervor in the streets of Mumbai. Competitions are also held in Mumbai to praise the team of Govinda Pathak that breaks the most number of Handis on Gokulashtami. Dahi Handi competition will be performed again in Janmashtami and is expected to bring more enthusiasm among the people of Mumbai.
While the Dwarkadhish temple showcase the spiritual side of Lord Krishna, the Dahi Handi festival highlights Krishna’s mischievous nature. Krishna Janmashtami or Gokulashtami is also celebrated in Mathura with great strictness that is almost similar to that of Dwarka celebrations
Let’s take a look at Krishna Janmashtami or Gokulashtami, to add more piousness and joy to this day.
Significance To Childless Married Life!
On the commencement of married life, every couple desires for a child. However, due to certain reasons, they are not gifted with such pleasure. For all such couples, festival of Janmashtami may prove to be really fruitful.
A remedial measure to beget a child is especially performed only on the day of Krishnashtami due to the auspiciousness of special Muhurat or timings. If you want to get delighted with the gift of a child in your married life, this is the perfect remedy. Let’s take a look at the remedies for getting a child:
- This custom should be performed by both, husband and wife, with complete devotion.
- After taking bath and getting ready, both husband and wife should take an oath before their Ishta Deva (favorite deity) that they are going to perform this remedy with full faith and devotion.
- Worship your favorite deity.
- After that, worship Lord Krishna in front of his idol or picture (The idol or picture should be of Krishna’s childhood form. This form is considered best to worship for getting blessed with a child. ) and offer incense sticks, lamps, Akshat, holy basil leaves, sandalwood paste, and Bhog (sacred food) of butter.
- Now, chant one rosary of holy basil beads (Tulsi Mala) with Santan Gopal Mantra in the front of the picture or idol of Laddu Gopal (Lord Krishna in his infant form), the Mantra is given below:
- Perform Aarti to Lord Krishna with camphor, incense sticks, and lamps with Ghee wick.
- After completing all the rituals, chant one basil rosary (Tulsi Mala) of Santan Gopal Mantra again.
- After that, husband and wife should pray to Lord Krishna for a healthy child in their life. If we have faith in God, this remedy will definitely be helpful and act as a miracle in getting a child.
देवकीसुत गोविन्द वासुदेव जगत्पते।
देहि मे तनयं कृष्ण त्वामहं शरणं गत:।।
Devkisut Govind Vasudev Jagatpate |
Dehi Mein Tanayam Krishna Twyamaham Sharanam Gatah ||
When ‘enchanter’ is linked with Lord Krishna, it doesn’t only state his beauty, but his spiritual abilities are indicated as well. In the same way, parallelism is seen in the celebrations of Gokulashtami. While worshiping Krishna, joy overpowers strictness and the same is experienced during Shri Krishna Janmashtami. Gokulashtami is the festival of love, enjoyment and enthusiasm.
Sri Krishna Jayanti is round the corner and here’s our chance to illuminate the festival with a vibrant mood. It’s our time to welcome Kanha on Sri Jayanti. This year, let’s bring Lord Krishna among us by devoting Gokulashtami songs to Kanha.
You can maintain the unique balance between love and devotion by dedicating Krishna Bhajans on Sri Krishna Janmashtami. Gokulashtami is approaching soon to distract us from our busy time schedules.
We can exchange greeting gestures through Krishna Janmashtmi SMS between our relatives and friends on Krishnashtami. These days, people have no time for enjoyment, so don’t miss the chance to get enthralled by Govinda on Shree Krishna Janmashtami.
From Janmashtami 2017 SMS to Janmashtami songs, people have a number of options to make Krishna Janmashtami memorable. Lord Krishna wallpapers can give Gokulashtami a touch of divinity as you may feel Kanha among yourselves. So, download Krishna Janmashtami wallpapers and add more joy to Sri Krishna Janmashtami.
You can also let off your limits aside and dance to the tunes of Lord Krishna on Janmashtami or Gokulashtami. Lord Krishna is one such deity who maintains the balance between joy and spirituality quite well. While on one hand, he is the mischievous lad strolling down the streets of Gokul; on the other hand, Krishna has been depicted as an excellent statesman in the fields of battle and philosophy.
AstroSage wishes you all a Happy Sri Krishna Janmashtami..!
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- ‘Yuti Yoga’ Formation In September: Who Will Win A Lottery, Who Will Suffer?
- Pitru Paksha 2022: Avoid Consuming These Food Items During This Period, Or Else…
- Weekly Horoscope 12-18 September, 2022: Know Fortunate-Unfortunate Signs Of The Week!
- Ashwin Month 2022 Begins; Brings Many Major Hindu Fasts-Festivals!
- Numerology Weekly Horoscope 11-17 September, 2022
- Follow Your Favorite Astrologers Now, Be A Part Of Their Network
- Mercury Retrograde In Virgo: Avoid Doing These Tasks During This Period!
- Chat With Astrologers, Only On AstroSage Kundli App
- Confused About Pitru Paksha Date? Read Here For Correct Date & Shraadh Vidhi!
- AstroSage Kundli Live: Real Astrologers, Authentic Astrology
- सितंबर में बनने जा रहा है ‘युति योग’: किसे रहना होगा सावधान-किसकी लगेगी लॉटरी?
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल 12 सितंबर से 18 सितंबर, 2022: यह सप्ताह इन राशियों के लिए रहेगा बेहद शुभ।
- अंक ज्योतिष साप्ताहिक राशिफल: 11 सितंबर से 17 सितंबर, 2022
- पसंदीदा ज्योतिषियों को फॉलो करके बने उनके नेटवर्क का हिस्सा : एस्ट्रोसेज वार्ता लाइव
- कन्या राशि में वक्री बुध: इन राशियों को मिलेंगे शुभ परिणाम।
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी से चैट करें सिर्फ़ एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली ऍप पर
- तिथि को लेकर न हों कनफ्यूज़- इस दिन से शुरू है पितृ पक्ष-नोट कर लें श्राद्ध की सही विधि!
- एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली लाइव : असल ज्योतिष और असली ज्योतिषी
- कन्या में गोचर कर सूर्य अन्य ग्रहों के साथ बनाएंगे कई बड़े योग, पढ़ें सूर्य के कन्या में गोचर का प्रभाव !
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी लाइव: एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली की रिवॉल्यूशनरी पहल