Chandra Grahan 2017: When The Moon Gets Dark
Chandra Grahan 2017 dates are 11th February and 7th of August, 2017. Chandra Grahan is an astronomical event that eventuates when our planet Earth comes in between sun and the Moon or its shadow falls on the Moon. Many precautions and remedies should be followed by the people to minimize the malefic effects of Chandra Grahan on their lives. So, to explore more about the Grahan you just need to look over the postulates mentioned below.
What Is A Grahan?
Grahan 2017 is approaching soon. Before proceeding forward, let’s take a look at the significance of a Grahan or eclipse. A Grahan or eclipse is the event when a stellar body obscures light from one celestial body by passing between it and the observer, and at times, between the body and its illuminator.
Grahan takes place when the earth comes in between the Sun and the Moon, or when the moon comes in between the earth and the Sun. This takes place in the form of Surya Grahan (Solar Eclipse) or Chandra Grahan (Lunar Eclipse).
Let’s take a closer revelation of Chandra Grahan or Lunar Eclipse.
Chandra Grahan (Lunar Eclipse)
Chandra Grahan or lunar eclipse takes place when the earth obstructs the light of the Sun at the Moon, as it comes in between the Sun and the Moon. This casts a shadow on Moon and this occurrence is termed as Chandra Grahan or Lunar Eclipse.
This kind of situation is relevant when the earth, Sun and Moon are linearly aligned to each other. In such a position, the earth hinders the source of illumination of the Moon and it gets shadowed down by the earth’s shadow.
Chandra Grahan 2017 Dates
It is very important to know the dates and time of Chandra Grahan. Check out Chandra Grahan 2017 dates and time in the below given table.
|Date||Type of eclipse||Grahan visibility in India||Eclipse visibility in global locations||Time of Grahan (IST)|
|11 February, 2017||Penumbral Lunar Eclipse||Yes||Asia, North America, Africa, North America, South America, Pacific Ocean, Indian Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Arctic, Europe, Antarctica.||
Starts at 04:04:14
Ends at 08:23:25
|7 August 2017||Partial Chandra Grahan||Yes||India, Europe, North America, Africa, Australia & East of Asia||Starts at 10:44 pm Approaches mid-phase at 11:43 pm Ends at 1: 59 am|
*Note: Penumbral Lunar Eclipse is not an actual lunar eclipse. In this eclipse, the moon doesn’t move from the shadow of the earth, instead it moves through the outer part of the earth’s shadow where its arc gets slightly dusky.
Mark these dates and make sure to stay aware on these particular days of Chandra Grahan in 2017.
Why Does Chandra Grahan Occur?
Chandra Grahan 2017 will occur once. Let’s see the scientific reason behind Chandra Grahan in 2017.
Moon revolves around the earth at an interval of 29 and ½ days. Chandra Grahan or Lunar Eclipse occurs when the Moon comes behind the shadow of earth.
There is a certain time when the Sun, the Moon and the earth gets linearly close to each other during the revolution of Moon causing Chandra Grahan or Lunar Eclipse.
This takes place on a Full-Moon night or Purnima when such a positioning takes place. In India, Chandra Grahan has its own significance where people consider the eclipse in a religious manner.
Since, the Chandra Grahan or lunar eclipse is paid such high considerations, there would be some reasons behind the piousness observed on the day. Now, let’s take a look at the legends of Chandra Grahan that make the day worth regarding.
Legends Of Chandra Grahan
As per the ancient Hindu text of Matsya Purana, Dhanvantari Devi emerged out of the sea to pacify the fight between gods and demons during Samudra Manthan. She was holding a pot of Amrit (elixir of immortality).
Ultimately, the gods were successful in gaining control over the Amrit and the demons were resisted from the drink. Although, the demons had to bite the dust, one of them named Swarbhanu disguised himself as one of the gods and managed to take a sip of the drink of immortality.
His pretence ended soon as he was sitting between Sun and Moon who notified Lord Vishnu of the demon’s fake identity. On knowing about this, Lord Vishnu cut Swarbhanu into two halves. The head portion of the demon is known as Rahu and the tail portion is known as Ketu .
Since, it was the Sun and the Moon that led to his exposure following his death, he is believed to engulf the Sun and the Moon whenever they come at proximity. Thus, the day of Grahan is also associated with negative energy and an inauspicious period to initiate important tasks.
But, what are the rituals that should be performed on Chandra Grahan 2017? Let’s take a look at the rituals of Chandra Grahan.
Rituals On Chandra Grahan 2017
People perform fasts to protect themselves from the ill-effects of Rahu and Ketu on Chandra Grahan (lunar eclipse). The fast begins around 9-10 hours ahead of the Chandra Grahan or lunar eclipse. Remedies of Moon are also a part of the ritual when the effects of the Moon is tranquilized with the use of Chandra Mantras or Chandra Puja. It is referred to be a good time for dedication of Mantras to Lord.
Temples remain closed on the Chandra Grahan or lunar eclipse day. People take a spiritual bath after the Grahan is over, which is meant to wash away the sins from his/her body. As the Chandra Grahan or lunar eclipse gets over, idols of deities are offered a holy bath and are cleansed from the negative effects of Grahan. Many people find it a favorable time to chant stotras that is dedicated to the gods and goddesses.
Beliefs About Chandra Grahan
In India, it is still believed that the Rahu/Ketu engulfs the Moon on an Lunar Eclipse or Chandra Grahan. Grahan is considered to bring bad fate and harmful effects to a person’s life. To minimise its ill effects holy Mantras are recited that is expected to bring positive energy in a person’s life. Let’s have a look at the Mantra of Chandra Grahan 2017:
Chandra Grahan Or Lunar Eclipse Mantra
Om Kshirputrayay Vidmahe Amrit Tatvaaye Dheemahi Tanno Chadrah Prachodayat ||
What is Chandra Grahan Sutak?
Chandra Grahan Sutak is the inauspicious period when people are advised to be cautious of the negative energy of Grahan. It is believed that one should not perform important tasks during Sutak.
Sutak is also known as Ashouch. The environment gets polluted during the period of Sutak and people should protect themselves from the adulterated effects of such an environmental condition.
Sutak is also known as Ashouch. The environment gets polluted during the period of Sutak and people should protect themselves from the adulterated effects of such an environmental condition. Chandra Grahan or lunar eclipse is mostly considered for its negative impacts while there’s no reason to panic during Grahan. We bring you some of the precautions that are needed to be taken during Grahan in 2017:
- Avoid eating or consuming eatables during the Grahan time period.
- Urination is prohibited during Sutak period.
- It is advised not to have physical relations during Grahan Sutak in 2017.
- It is preferred to be a good time to indulge in meditation.
- It is considered as the best time to venerate the Lord for his blessings.
- Avoid consuming food that is cooked before the Chandra Grahan period.
- One should discard initiating any important task on Chandra Grahan or lunar eclipse in 2017.
The pregnant women are also advised to take utmost care during Chandra Grahan (lunar eclipse). We bring you the following cautious measures for pregnant women during the period of Grahan:
- They should not view the eclipse or Grahan.
- They are advised to stay indoors during lunar eclipse.
- They should not wear or tighten saree clips or hair clips
- They are suggested to be awaken during Chandra Grahan (lunar eclipse).
- They should not cut vegetables or involve in any kind of peelings.
- Chanting of Santana Gopala Stotra is considered auspicious for the pregnant women during Chandra Grahan Sutak.
Although Chandra Grahan or lunar eclipse is believed to carry major negative effects, there are precautions to protect yourselves. Do not panic and react tactfully to neutralize Rahu’s impact on your lives.
To know more about the Chandra Puja in order to pacify the effects of Moon, take a look at - Remedies For Moon.
We hope that this article will help you in treating Chandra Grahan 2017 or lunar eclipse 2017 with a more cautious attitude. AstroSage wishes you luck for the year 2017.
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- ‘Yuti Yoga’ Formation In September: Who Will Win A Lottery, Who Will Suffer?
- Pitru Paksha 2022: Avoid Consuming These Food Items During This Period, Or Else…
- Weekly Horoscope 12-18 September, 2022: Know Fortunate-Unfortunate Signs Of The Week!
- Ashwin Month 2022 Begins; Brings Many Major Hindu Fasts-Festivals!
- Numerology Weekly Horoscope 11-17 September, 2022
- Follow Your Favorite Astrologers Now, Be A Part Of Their Network
- Mercury Retrograde In Virgo: Avoid Doing These Tasks During This Period!
- Chat With Astrologers, Only On AstroSage Kundli App
- Confused About Pitru Paksha Date? Read Here For Correct Date & Shraadh Vidhi!
- AstroSage Kundli Live: Real Astrologers, Authentic Astrology
- सितंबर में बनने जा रहा है ‘युति योग’: किसे रहना होगा सावधान-किसकी लगेगी लॉटरी?
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल 12 सितंबर से 18 सितंबर, 2022: यह सप्ताह इन राशियों के लिए रहेगा बेहद शुभ।
- अंक ज्योतिष साप्ताहिक राशिफल: 11 सितंबर से 17 सितंबर, 2022
- पसंदीदा ज्योतिषियों को फॉलो करके बने उनके नेटवर्क का हिस्सा : एस्ट्रोसेज वार्ता लाइव
- कन्या राशि में वक्री बुध: इन राशियों को मिलेंगे शुभ परिणाम।
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी से चैट करें सिर्फ़ एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली ऍप पर
- तिथि को लेकर न हों कनफ्यूज़- इस दिन से शुरू है पितृ पक्ष-नोट कर लें श्राद्ध की सही विधि!
- एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली लाइव : असल ज्योतिष और असली ज्योतिषी
- कन्या में गोचर कर सूर्य अन्य ग्रहों के साथ बनाएंगे कई बड़े योग, पढ़ें सूर्य के कन्या में गोचर का प्रभाव !
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी लाइव: एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली की रिवॉल्यूशनरी पहल