Chhath Puja 2018: Honor The Epitome Of Energy, Sun!
Chhath Puja 2018 dates are here. Chhat Puja is dedicated to Lord Surya, who is considered to be the prime source of energy. Will the Chhath be able to please Surya, and spread positivity around the earth? Let's take a look at the four day festival of Chhath.
Chhath Puja : What Is Chhath Puja?
Chhath Puja is one of the most ancient Hindu festivals ever surviving on earth. Chhath Puja is referred to as the only Vedic festival celebrated in India.
Chhath Puja is observed for a period of four days during the month of Kartika. Chhath Puja ritual includes holy bathing, Vrat (fasts) and other holy severities. Chhath Puja is dedicated to Sun God, Surya. Devotees pay reverence to Lord Surya during Chhath Puja by bowing before the Sun. This is done to invoke the blessings of the powerful god. It is believed that Surya sustains life on earth. On Chhath Puja, Surya is expressed gratitude and he is worshiped for the fulfillment of certain desires. Chhath Puja is also known as Chhath Sashthi, Surya Shashti, Chhathi Maiya, and Chhath Parv.
As per the Hindu texts, Surya's energy is magnanimous. Therefore, Surya is believed to cure deadly diseases like leprosy, and increases a person's longevity.
Now, let's know when Chhath Puja will be observed in 2018. Let's take a look at the dates of Chhat Puja in 2018, according to Hindu calendar .
Chhath Puja 2018 Dates
|Chhath Puja 2018||Date||Day||Event||Tithi|
|Chhath Puja 2018||November 11||Sunday||Nahai Khai||Chaturthi|
|Chhath Puja 2018||November 12||Monday||Kharna||Panchami|
|Chhath Puja 2018||November 13||Tuesday||Sandhya Argh||Shashthi|
|Chhath Puja 2018||November 14||Wednesday||Suryodaya Argh||Saptami|
Hopefully, the Chhath Puja 2018 dates will help you in considering the rituals of this festivals more meticulously.
But, why is Chhath Puja celebrated? Now, we will be taking a look at the reasons for celebrating Chhath Puja.
Why To Celebrate Chhath Puja?
The legends associated with Chhath Puja are as follows:
Legend Of Draupadi
It is believed that Draupadi was an ardent devotee of Lord Surya (the Sun god). Due to her devotion toward Surya, she was gifted with the unique power to cure even the most deadliest diseases. Draupadi possessed the energy that helped the Pandavas to regain the kingdom.
Similar to any other Hindu festival, the festival of Chhath has more than one legend linked with it. Let's take a look at some of its other known legends.
Legend Of Karna
According to the legends, Karna, son of Surya observed Chhath Puja or Surya Shashti with sheer devotion. It is said that Karna had gained supreme powers by performing Chhath rituals. This had made Karna grow into a powerful and valiant warrior.
These are believed to be one of the most well-known legends behind Chhath Puja. Now, let's take a look how Chhath Puja is celebrated.
Chhath Puja : How To Celebrate Chhath Puja?
Chhath Puja is a festival that is celebrated over a period of four days. Let's read about all these days, one by one.
First Day Of Chhath Puja : Nahai Khai
Nahai means to bathe, and Khai means to eat. On the first day of Nahai Khai, devotees take a holy bath in a holy lake or river, to purify their sins. Then, they worship Lord Surya. Water from the holy river is carried to homes, which is later used in cooking food offerings for Surya.
Second Day Of Chhath Puja : Kharna
On Kharna, devotees observe Vrat for a time-period of almost 8 to 12 hours. This fast includes abstaining from drinking water. Thus, the day of Kharna involves an anhydrous fast. People terminate the fast during evening after performing Surya Puja.
With the end of Surya Puja, Prasadam (sacred food offering) is distributed among everyone.
Third Day Of Chhath Puja : Sandhya Argha
Sandhya Arghya means evening offerings. On the third day of Chhath puja, devotees prepare food offerings.
The prepared food is offered to the setting Sun. The setting Sun is worshiped on Sandhya Argha. It is considered auspicious to invoke the blessings of Surya in dusk.
Fourth Day Of Chhath Puja : Suryodaya Argha
This is the last day of Chhath Puja. On the day of Suryodaya Argh, devotees reach to the banks of the rivers to offer to the rising Sun.
Once the morning offering is over, people terminate their fast by tasting ginger with sugar. The festival of Chhath Puja ends with the Suryodaya Argh, on the fourth day. The four days performed in severe austerities are believed to please Lord Surya.
This was all about how Chhath Puja is celebrated for the period of four days. Now, let's take a look at the food items that can be taken during Chhath Puja.
Chhath Puja : Food Delicacies Of Chhath Puja
Following are the food items that are prepared during the festivity of Chhath Puja:
- Thekua (sweet cookie made of whole white flour)
- Malpua (Indian pancake)
- Balushahi (a traditional dessert similar to doughnut)
- Rice Kheer (rice pudding)
- Puri (deep fried Indian bread)
- Khajur (date fruit)
- Sooji Halwa (dense, sweet confection)
Chhath songs are very famous in parts of Bihar, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh etc. People fill more enthusiasm to the festival of Chhat by singing Chhath songs. These traditional songs add a flavor of joy into the festival.
Chhath Puja is celebrated across regions like Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, and parts of Bengal as well. The celebrations of Chhat Puja are not limited to our country, as it is also celebrated in countries like Mauritius, Fiji, Trinidad and Tobago etc.
Celebrate Chhath Puja with enthusiasm and gusto. This is the perfect time to worship Lord Surya and gain the positive energy in order to eliminate all your negativities. Lord Surya will surely grant your wishes.
AstroSage wishes you all a Happy Chhath Puja
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- ‘Yuti Yoga’ Formation In September: Who Will Win A Lottery, Who Will Suffer?
- Pitru Paksha 2022: Avoid Consuming These Food Items During This Period, Or Else…
- Weekly Horoscope 12-18 September, 2022: Know Fortunate-Unfortunate Signs Of The Week!
- Ashwin Month 2022 Begins; Brings Many Major Hindu Fasts-Festivals!
- Numerology Weekly Horoscope 11-17 September, 2022
- Follow Your Favorite Astrologers Now, Be A Part Of Their Network
- Mercury Retrograde In Virgo: Avoid Doing These Tasks During This Period!
- Chat With Astrologers, Only On AstroSage Kundli App
- Confused About Pitru Paksha Date? Read Here For Correct Date & Shraadh Vidhi!
- AstroSage Kundli Live: Real Astrologers, Authentic Astrology
- सितंबर में बनने जा रहा है ‘युति योग’: किसे रहना होगा सावधान-किसकी लगेगी लॉटरी?
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल 12 सितंबर से 18 सितंबर, 2022: यह सप्ताह इन राशियों के लिए रहेगा बेहद शुभ।
- अंक ज्योतिष साप्ताहिक राशिफल: 11 सितंबर से 17 सितंबर, 2022
- पसंदीदा ज्योतिषियों को फॉलो करके बने उनके नेटवर्क का हिस्सा : एस्ट्रोसेज वार्ता लाइव
- कन्या राशि में वक्री बुध: इन राशियों को मिलेंगे शुभ परिणाम।
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी से चैट करें सिर्फ़ एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली ऍप पर
- तिथि को लेकर न हों कनफ्यूज़- इस दिन से शुरू है पितृ पक्ष-नोट कर लें श्राद्ध की सही विधि!
- एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली लाइव : असल ज्योतिष और असली ज्योतिषी
- कन्या में गोचर कर सूर्य अन्य ग्रहों के साथ बनाएंगे कई बड़े योग, पढ़ें सूर्य के कन्या में गोचर का प्रभाव !
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी लाइव: एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली की रिवॉल्यूशनरी पहल