Chaitra Navratri 2017: Welcome Goddess Durga
To know more, please click here: Chaitra Navratri 2017 Muhurat
Vasant Navratri are going to be from March 28 to April 5, 2017. According to the Hindu Calendar, this Navratri held in the month of Chaitra i.e. in March - April. Basant Navratri is one of the most important Navratri from all the Navratras. It is celebrated to seek blessings from Goddess Durga. Fast is observed by the devotees till 8 days and on the 9th day of Navratri, it is completed by doing Kanya Pujan. To know significance of this festival, stay connected to this article..
Chaitra Navratri 2017: What Is Chaitra Navratri?
Chaitra Navratri is one of the major types of Navratras which is celebrated with devout sincerity by the Hindus. But, one surely needs to take a look at a brief description of Navratri before knowing about Chaitra Navratri. Without letting your precious time get wasted, let's proceed and know about Navratri.
Navratri literally means nine nights. However, one should not take these nine nights as a bunch of ordinary nights. These are the nights that established goodness on earth. During the nights of Navratri, Goddess Durga is worshiped as an epitome of Shakti (divine power). Following are the forms of Goddess Durga that are venerated during Navratri : Shailputri, Brahmacharini, Chandraghanta, Kushmanda, Skandamata, Katyayani, Kalratri, Mahagauri, and Siddhidatri. The festival of Navratri is categorized into four major forms:
- Basant Navratri
- Gupt Navratri
- Sharad Navratri
- Chaitra Navratri
- Paush Navratri
In this article, we will discuss in details about Chaitra Navratri.
Chaitra Navratri, also known as Vasant Navratri, is celebrated on the first day during Shukla Paksha (bright fortnight) in the Hindu month of Chaitra. The festival of Chaitra Navratri ends on the ninth day, when Ram Navami is celebrated. According to Mythological evidences, Lord Rama was born on the ninth day in the month of Chaitra, hence, Navami (ninth day) of Chaitra Navratra is popular as Ram Navami.
There are lots more to know about Chaitra Navratri, but before knowing them all, let's know the dates of Chaitra Navratri in 2017.
Chaitra Navratri 2017 Dates
|28 March 2017||Tuesday||Amavasya, Prathama||Maa Shailputri Puja, Ghatasthapana|
|29 March 2017||Wednesday||Dwitiya||Maa Brahmacharini Puja|
|30th March 2017||Thursday||Tritiya||Maa Chandraghanta Puja|
|31 March 2017||Friday||Chaturthi||Maa Kushmanda Puja|
|1 April 2017||Saturday||Panchami||Maa Skandamata Puja|
|2 April 2017||Sunday||Shashti||Maa Katyayani Puja|
|3 April 2017||Monday||Saptami||Maa Kalaratri Puja|
|4 April 2017||Tuesday||Ashtami||Maa MahaGauri Puja|
|5 April 2017||Wednesday||Navami||Maa Siddhidatri Puja, Navratri Parana, Ram Navami|
We hope that these dates would be very helpful for you in celebrating Chaitra Navratri in 2017. We have left no excuse for you to miss the opportunity to please Goddess Durga in Chaitra Navratri.
Now, it's turn to know the significance of Chaitra Navratri that gives you the reason for celebrating the nine holy nights of Chaitra Navratri.
Chaitra Navratri 2017: Significance Of Chaitra Navratra
Chaitra Navratri marks the commencement of Hindu New Year as Vikram Samvat begins on the Pratipada Tithi of Shukla Paksha of Chaitra Maas. The festivals of Gudi Padwa and Ugadi are celebrated on this day. This is considered to be the starting of a prosperous year ahead, for the Indians.
The significance of Chaitra Navaratri is not only limited to festivals, it also adds special significance to climatic conditions. As the festival of Chaitra Navratra takes place during the season of Spring, it prepares oneself for the upcoming Summer season. The celebration time of Chaitra Navratri is considered to be the pleasant time when one literally gets warmed up for the transformation of Winter to Summer.
As there are legends associated to every Indian festival, there must be some mythological tales related to the festival of Chaitra Navratri, as well. Let's take a look at the legend of Chaitra Navratri.
Chaitra Navratri : Legend Of Chaitra Navaratri
According to Hindu mythology, Mahishasura had once grown into a mighty demon and went on to take away innocent lives. Being a strict devotee of Lord Shiva, Mahishasura was gifted with divine powers. As a result of his dedication and devotion towards Lord Shiva, he gradually grew in power and posed a threat to heaven, as well. He defeated the Gods and their King, Indra.
Finally, a solution evolved out from the heavenly minds of Brahma, Vishnu, and Maheshwara. They created Goddess Durga, epitome of Shakti (power) out of their divine energies. Goddess Durga fighted the demon king, Mahishasura for a period of nine days and nine nights. Mahishasura was finally beheaded on the tenth day, which is also celebrated as Vijayadashami, marking the triumph of good over evil. Since, the nine days and nine nights signify the establishment of goodness on earth, the period got popular among the devotees of Durga as Navratri.
Now, let's know about the rituals and customs that are followed during the festival of Chaitra Navratri.
Chaitra Navratri : Rituals & Customs Of Chaitra Navratri
Following are the rituals and traditions that will be followed during Chaitra Navratri:
- Chaitra Navratri Vrat (fasts) is rigorously performed by Hindu women of our country. The fast ends on Mahanavami (ninth day) when Kanya Puja is also performed.
- Actually, the festival of Chaitra Navratri starts with Ghatasthapana which takes place on the first day.
- Keralites venerate Goddess Saraswati on the eighth day of Chaitra Navratri.
- Bengalis celebrate Shardiya Navratri in a more enthusiastic manner than celebrating Chaitra Navratri However, it is strongly claimed that the origin of Durga Puja actually took place during this time of the year. This is also known as Basanti Puja.
- Kanya Puja is performed on the ninth but the last day of Chaitra Navratri. In Kanya Puja, nine young girls are paid reverence. They are considered to be nine forms of Goddess Durga.
- Chaitra Navratri ends on Maha Navami. The tenth day succeeding Chaitra Navratri is popular as Vijaya Dashami. On this day, effigies of Lord Ravana, along with Kumbhakarna (brother) and Meghnad (son) is burnt. This marks the establishment of goodness on earth.
Chaitra Navratri brings you the taste of the upcoming Summer; how would it be, if Goddess Durga herself transcends to witness the sweet transformation of seasons? Celebrate Chaitra Navratri and invoke the blessings of Durga Maa. If you perform such a deed with at least an inch of true devotion, you will definitely get blessed by the grace of Goddess Shakti.
AstroSage wishes you all a Happy Chaitra Navratri!
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- ‘Yuti Yoga’ Formation In September: Who Will Win A Lottery, Who Will Suffer?
- Pitru Paksha 2022: Avoid Consuming These Food Items During This Period, Or Else…
- Weekly Horoscope 12-18 September, 2022: Know Fortunate-Unfortunate Signs Of The Week!
- Ashwin Month 2022 Begins; Brings Many Major Hindu Fasts-Festivals!
- Numerology Weekly Horoscope 11-17 September, 2022
- Follow Your Favorite Astrologers Now, Be A Part Of Their Network
- Mercury Retrograde In Virgo: Avoid Doing These Tasks During This Period!
- Chat With Astrologers, Only On AstroSage Kundli App
- Confused About Pitru Paksha Date? Read Here For Correct Date & Shraadh Vidhi!
- AstroSage Kundli Live: Real Astrologers, Authentic Astrology
- सितंबर में बनने जा रहा है ‘युति योग’: किसे रहना होगा सावधान-किसकी लगेगी लॉटरी?
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल 12 सितंबर से 18 सितंबर, 2022: यह सप्ताह इन राशियों के लिए रहेगा बेहद शुभ।
- अंक ज्योतिष साप्ताहिक राशिफल: 11 सितंबर से 17 सितंबर, 2022
- पसंदीदा ज्योतिषियों को फॉलो करके बने उनके नेटवर्क का हिस्सा : एस्ट्रोसेज वार्ता लाइव
- कन्या राशि में वक्री बुध: इन राशियों को मिलेंगे शुभ परिणाम।
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी से चैट करें सिर्फ़ एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली ऍप पर
- तिथि को लेकर न हों कनफ्यूज़- इस दिन से शुरू है पितृ पक्ष-नोट कर लें श्राद्ध की सही विधि!
- एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली लाइव : असल ज्योतिष और असली ज्योतिषी
- कन्या में गोचर कर सूर्य अन्य ग्रहों के साथ बनाएंगे कई बड़े योग, पढ़ें सूर्य के कन्या में गोचर का प्रभाव !
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी लाइव: एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली की रिवॉल्यूशनरी पहल