Upanayana Muhurat 2023: Date & Muhurat
This Upanayana Muhurat 2023 article by AstroSage offers you a detailed and well-structured piece of information about the auspicious time and dates to wear a Janeu or also known as Yofnopavit in the year 2023. In this article, we will also explain to you the significance of this ritual along with different ways to wear a Janeu, with other important details such as how the thread ceremony or the Janeu Sanskar is performed in the provinces of North and South India. Not only this, you will find out more facts about this event, so keep reading!
To Read Upanayana Muhurat 2024 Click Here: Upanayana Muhurat 2024
What Is Upanayana Sanskar?
If you are a Hindu by religion then you might be aware of this event, but if you are not then this event might be new to you. So, basically, in the Hindu religion, the Janeu or Upanayana Sanskar is considered to be the most important event in the Brahmin community. Janeu Sanskar or Janeu Dharana is specifically for the Brahmin boys. Therefore, it is very important to celebrate this ceremony with proper rituals considering the auspicious dates and timings for this event. In this ceremony, the person who is wished to wear this sacred thread (Janeu) is considered to step into his youth, a new chapter of life.
Many castes like Brahmins, Vaishyas, and Kshatriyas also celebrate this ritual for the boy before his wedding. The groom is given three sacred strands of thread. Every single thread has a vow with it- the vow to his parents, the vow to respect knowledge and wisdom, and the vow to respect the society he lives in.
हिंदी में पढ़ें - उपनयन मुहूर्त 2022
Auspicious Upanayana Muhurat 2023 Dates
Let’s trace out the auspicious dates and the timings to wear Yognopavit or Janeu in 2023 during the Upanayana Muhurat 2023.
|22:28 to 3:21 AM 23rd January
|12:34 to 7:13 AM 26th January
|07:13 to 10:28 AM
|22:15 PM to 07:10 AM Tuesday
|07:05 - 17:28 PM
|07:59 to 7:03 AM 11th February
|06:54 to 3:25 AM 23 February
|1:34 - 2:56 AM
|19:43 to 6:38 AM, 9 March
|06:38 to 5:57 AM, 10 March
|20:21 to 6::22 AM, 23 March
|06:22 to 13:20 PM
|14:01 to 16:33 PM
|05:24 - 06:48 AM
|06:39 - 03:49 AM, 6 June
|21:51 - 22:23 PM
|05:23 - 18:58 PM
|11:26 to 01:14 AM, 20 June
|05:24 - 15:10 PM
Note that the most auspicious Muhurat 2023 to wear a Janeu is falling on the days- Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
Observance of Janeu Ceremony in 2023
The Janeu or the Upanayana Thread Ceremony is observed when a boy gets to the teenage age between seven and fourteen. If due for some reason, the ritual is not performed during these years, then it should be done before the marriage of that person. A person who belongs to the Hindu religion must have a Janeu or Upanayana ceremony before getting married.
This ceremony or Janeu Sanskar is celebrated at the end of one phase of a boy’s life and the beginning of another. It symbolizes leaving the childhood of a being behind and entering into a more intense phase of life which is adulthood, which clearly means that the boy is now becoming a man.
Benefits and Significance of Upanayana Muhurat 2023
According to Hindu religion, Upanayana or Janeu sanskar have an astrological, scientific and a religious significance. The rituals of the Upanayana Muhurat have the links with the Trimurthis that are Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. Therefore, there are three strands in this sacred thread, Janeu. The three threads represent the 3 gods, Brahma is the creator of the world, Vishnu is the preserver of this world and Shiva is the destroyer. And that’s the reason behind this thread having the direct connection with the 3 gods while performing the upanayana.
- For Brahmin & Kshatriya performing the Upanayana, Tuesday is best.
- For others, good days are Wednesday, Thursday & Friday.
- Good Tithi is the 2, 3, 5, 6, 10 11, and 12
- For the Rugvedi Brahmin, Ashlesha, Purva falguni, Hasta, Chitra, Swati, Mula, Purvashadha, Shrawan, Purvabhadrapada, Adra, Mrugashirsh- are good to do Upanayanam.
- For Shamvedi Bhramin, Ashwini, Adra, Pushya, Uttara phalguni, Hast, Uttara ashadha , Shrawan, Ghanista, Uttara Bhadrapada, nakshatras are good.
- For Atharva Veda Bhramin, Mrigashirsha, Punervasu, Hasta, Anuradha, Dhanista, Revati nakshatras are necessary.
- For Yajur Veda Brahmin: Rohini, Mrigashirsha, Punervasu, Pushya,Uttara Phalguni, Hasta, Chitra, Anuradha, Uttara ashadha, Uttara Bhadrapada, Revati nakshatra are important to be considered
- According to astrology, Yajyopaveet is known as the image of Maa Gayatri. In this manner, one achieves the blessing of Maa Gayatri following decorating a Janeu with commitment and independence from every one of the sins of his past birth.
- As per Hindu practices, the Janeu string contains five bunches. These five bunches are viewed as the images of Brahma, Dharma, Ardha, Kama and Moksha.
Upanayana Sanskar Or Janeu Sanskar 2023 in North & South India
Mentioned below is the series of steps for the Upanayana Sanskar rituals that are performed in the North-
- The parents of the Groom must worship Lord Ganesh a day before the Janeu or Upanayana Sanskar Ceremony.
- In a Brahmin family, on the day of the ceremony, the groom and his mother should eat from the same plate.
- After this, the Acharya of the head priest then makes the groom wear the sacred thread that is known as the Yognopavit or Janeu while chanting the Vedic Mantras.
- This ritual is then followed by a set of vows which we have explained to you earlier in this article. These vows are- the vow to their parents, the vow to respect wisdom and knowledge, and the vow to respect the society, in which the groom is living.
- Apart from chanting the Vedic Mantras, the groom is made to offer fuel sticks to the sacred fire.
- In the final step to complete the ritual of the Upanayana Ceremony in the North, is that the groom has to ask for food from the elder ladies of his house including his mother. After which, food that is offered to him is given first to the guru/ teacher.
The Upanayana ceremony is performed in a different way in South India-
- The sacred thread ceremony or the Janeu Sanskar is called Vrutham in the South, and it is very much important for a groom, just like it is in the North.
- The Vrutham ceremony takes place in the groom’s house and it takes place on the wedding day, that is early in the morning.
- This day is special because on this day a boy ends his Brahmacharya stage and embarks on a new journey- that is the new phase of his life which is known as the Grihastha.
- Vrutham is not an exceptional ritual but it is a mandatory ritual for a groom before getting married.
- The father of the groom, considered as the Guru or the Acharya, is the one to permit his son to enter the new phase of his life.
- Puja then takes place while the sacred thread messy with turmeric is tied around the groom’s wrist.
- In the South, this ceremony takes place at the bride’s home too. It is done to protect the newly wedded couple from the eyes of evil.
Wearing A Janeu During Janeu Sanskar in 2023
- The correct way to wear a Janeu, in any auspicious ceremony, is to wear the sacred thread that should be worn hanging from the left shoulder.
- For any occasion that is inauspicious for you, the Janeu must be worn hanging from the right shoulder.
- A Janeu can also be worn around the neck like a garland called “Niviti”.
- The sacred thread must be raised and tucked behind the ear while performing the daily cleansings or any task which is impure.
- Females are supposed to wear the Janeu around the neck.
- At the demise of any family member, the holy thread should be removed from the body. After 15 days of the event, a new Janeu must be worn.
- If the thread is worn out or broken in any way, it should be immediately replaced by a new one.
Upanayan Ceremony 2023: Scientific Significance Associated With Wearing A Janeu
- You might be aware of the fact that our right brain has a close relationship with our right body so wearing a Janeu over the left shoulder can result in the enhancement of the functioning of our right part of the brain. Our right side of the brain is only responsible for getting knowledge, emotions, mental capabilities along with logical thinking and that’s why there are many people who also wear a Janeu before starting with their education journey.
- You need to understand that a person’s head is shaved during the Janeu or Upnayana ceremony, leaving just a small portion of hair tied in a knot. Because it improves the energy flow through the 7 chakras by creating pressure, which is known as Shikha.
- Remember, a Janeu minimizes the chances of the issues and concerns that are related to the blood pressure.
- When a Janeu is tucked behind the ears, then it results in improved memory and also reduces the possibilities of any digestion-related problems.