Panchak Muhurat Demystified
To Know More Please Click here Aaj ka Panchang
As per Hindu Panchang, Panchak is an inauspicious time (Muhurat) in which people are advised to abstain from certain works. Is this time really inauspicious or is it just a myth? Are there any positive effects of Panchak or just the negative ones? Our special article on Panchak will help to reveal the real meaning behind this societal myth.
What is Panchak?
The group of five Nakshatras (constellations) is known as Panchak. According to the Vedic astrology, there are 360 degrees and 27 constellations in a Zodiac. In this manner, one constellation is of 13 degrees with 20 minutes or 800 degrees. As per Indian astrology, if Moon is in the 5 last constellations out of 27, i.e. Dhanishtha, Shatabhisha, Purvabhadrapada, Uttarabhadrapada and Revati; that duration is termed as Panchak. In other words or say simpler words, when Moon is in Pisces and Aquarius sign, that duration is called Panchak.
Are Panchak Inauspicious to Start New Work?
Well, this is not the case. Many astrologers do not consider these constellations as totally inauspicious. Only few astrologers have termed these constellations as ominous, due to which certain special works are not undertaken during this duration. And, it is absolutely wrong to say that people should abstain from doing any work during this time. Most of the tasks are done in this duration. Out of these five constellations, Dhanishtha and Shatbhishare are termed as movable constellations. Therefore, travelling and tourism, entertainment, marketing, purchasing clothes and jewellery is considered auspicious. Purvabhadrapada presents anger; therefore, matters related to court and argumentations should be undertaken in this duration. However, Uttarabhadrapada stands for eternity under which Shilanyaas, Yogabhyaasand and long term plannings are initiated. Revati constellation is considered peaceful and soft. Therefore, in this constellation; songs, music, acting, fashion shows and making of T.V. serials can be undertaken. Hence, it is proved that all types of works are not prohibited during this duration. During this time, you may accomplish marriages, Mundan-Sanskaar, Griha Pravesh, Griha Nirmaan, Upanayan as well as business and economic activities after consulting an astrologer.
Is It Prohibited to do Pooja or Any Religious Activity During Panchak?
It is a common belief that during Panchak havan-pujan and Devi Visarjan must be prohibited, but this is wrong. While doing auspicious tasks, especially, Dev-Pujan, Panchak are not considered. Therefore, Pooja can be undertaken while Panchak. Our scriptures do not mention the prohibition of pious or religious tasks during Panchak. However, some tasks are prohibited during this time, as per the advices of our sages.
What tasks should not be undertaken during Panchak?
Following five tasks are mainly prohibited during Panchak:
- Grass, wood and oil should not be gathered during Ghanistha constellation. It might result into fire.
- Travelling toward South should be prohibited, as it is considered the direction of Yam. Travelling toward this direction is considered to be ominous.
- Construction of terrace is prohibited during Revati constellation.
- Construction of Chaarpayi is prohibited during Panchak.
- Cremation is prohibited during Panchak because it is believed that if a dead body is cremated in Panchak, five people from that town might have to face death. It is advised to perform Shanthikarma before cremating a dead body during Panchak.
What are the remedies to be performed if a certain task cannot be avoided during Panchak?
The world has become very modern these days. That�s why abstaining certain works might be impossible. However, the sages have mentioned the prohibition of certain activities after an in-depth study. If the above mentioned five tasks are necessary to be performed during Panchak, then these remedies must be performed beforehand and only then those tasks should be incepted.
- If it is necessary to buy wooden items then you can buy, but do not forget to perform the Havan of Goddess Gayatri after buying. It helps in avoiding ominous situations.
- If it is necessary to travel toward south during Panchak, then offer a fruit to Lord Hanuman. You can then start your journey.
- Offer sweet meat to workers before the construction of terrace during Panchak.
- You can buy bed during Panchak. But, remember to use them only after the duration of Panchak is over.
- Cremation is a very important task. If it is necessary to cremate a body during Panchak, then make five dummy dead bodies as well and burn them too.
Performing these remedies according to rituals will certainly help in relieving you from any side-effects of Panchak.