Chandra Grahan in 2017
What is Chandra Grahan?
Chandra Grahan occurs when the Moon comes between the Sun and Earth making the Moon totally or partially invisible due to the casting of Earth's shadow on it. The total invisibility of Moon is known as Total Lunar Eclipse or Purna Chandra Grahan. And, the partial invisibility of Moon is known as Partial Lunar Eclipse or Anshika Chandra Grahan.
Chandra Grahan 2017 Date and Time
The first Chandra Grahan 2017 will occur in Ashlesha Nakshatra and on Cancer zodiac sign. It will be visible in Much of Asia, North America, Africa, North America, South America, Pacific Ocean, Indian Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Arctic, Europe, Antarctica. This will be a Penumbral Lunar Eclipse.
The second Chandra Grahan will occur in Capricorn zodiac sign on Shravana Nakshatra. It will be visible in India, Europe, North America, Africa, Australia & East of Asia. This will be a Partial lunar Eclipse.
Duration of the Chandra Grahan:
- Penumbral Eclipse: Starts at 04:04:14 , Ends at 08:23:25 (First Lunar Eclipse - 11 February, 2017)
- Partial Eclipse:Starts at 10:44 pm, Approaches mid-phase at 11:43 pm, Ends at 1:59 am (Second Lunar Eclipse - 7 August 2017)
What to do or not do during Chandra Grahan
Chandra Grahan is considered inauspicious and has many age old myths attached to it. Most of which refers to Chandra Grahan being an unlucky time to start anything new. The malefic effect of grahan is said to cast negative influence on individuals and activities performed during Chandra Grahan. Here is a list of things in particular that one should do or not do during Chandra Grahan:
- Avoid eating the food which is cooked before Grahan. Only eat food cooked after Grahan. People can eat the food that is prevented from 'Soodak' . To prevent food from Sootak, just spill some til seeds or keep grass blades (Durva grass) on the food before grahan.
- Grahan and eat what is cooked after Grahan. Many also fast the whole day of Chandra Grahan.
- Perform Jaap, puja and religious recitation of mantra during Chandra Grahan
- Many also take a holy dip or bath after Chandra Grahan.
Temples Closed during Chandra Grahan
Legend has it that periodically Rahu indulges in a war with Surya and Chandra. During Chandra Grahan Rahu gulps the moon, casting its evil effect on Earth and its beings. Since Rahu is a malefic planet in Indian Astrology, to ward off its evil effect temples remain closed during Chandra Grahan.
Grahan Dosh Effects
The effect of Chandra Grahan 2017 will vary from person to person. However the birth chart of certain individuals is afflicted with, Chandra Grahan Dosh. Listed below is a combination of planets in birth chart responsible for Chandra Grahan Dosh :
Purna Chandra Grahan Dosh-When the Planet Moon and Ketu are placed together in the same house or they are aspecting each other.
Partial Chandra Grahan Dosh- When the Planet Moon and Rahu are present together in the same house or they are aspecting each other .
Effect of Chandra Grahan on different Rashi's
Chandra Grahan is said to cast a malefic effect on planet Earth and individuals. However the nature of influence differs from Rashi to Rashi. Predictions talking about the influence of Chandra Grahan 2017 on different Rashi's, range from good to bad. Detailed predictions about the effect of Chandra Grahan 2017 and remedies to ward off the evil effect will be published soon for all our visitors.
|Cancer||Issues to spouse|
Mantras to chant during Chandra Grahan
- Chant mantras dedicated to Lord Vishnu or Shiva like the Ashtakshara Mantra or Mrityunjaya Mantra. Pregnant women chant the Santana Gopala Mantra.
- Chanting the following mantra will reduce the ill-effects.