Chandra Grahan in 2016
What is Chandra Grahan?
When the moon comes in between the Sun and Earth and the shadow of the Earth is cast on the moon, making it totally invisible (known as Total Lunar Eclipse or Purna Chandra Grahan in Hindi) or partially invisible (known as Partial Lunar Eclipse or Aanshik Chandra Grahan).
Chandra Grahan is also known as Ketugrasta Grahan in Hinduism, Ketu being one of the nine planets in Vedic Astrology. There is an interesting legend associated with Chandra Grahan , related to Samudra Manthan. Like, Every year this year too we have for you all that you wanted to know about Chandra Grahan 2016.
Chandra Grahan 2016 Date and Time
The first Chandra Grahan 2016 will occur in Kanya Rasi on Falgun Shukla Paksh Purnima. It will be visible in Much of Asia, Australia, North America, Much of South America, Pacific, Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Arctic, Antarctica, India (partially visible). This will be a Penumbral Lunar Eclipse.
The second Chandra Grahan will occur in Kumbha (Aquarius) & Meen (Pisces) on Bhadrapada Shukla Paksh. It will be visible in Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa, West in South America, Pacific, Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Arctic, Antarctica, India. This will be a Penumbral lunar Eclipse.
Duration of the Chandra Grahan:
- Penumbral Eclipse: 04: 02 hrs (First Lunar Eclipse - March 23, 2016)
- Penumbral Eclipse: 04:03 hrs (Second Lunar Eclipse - September 16-17, 2016)
What to do or not do during Chandra Grahan
Chandra Grahan is considered inauspicious and has many age old myths attached to it. Most of which refers to Chandra Grahan being an unlucky time to start anything new. The malefic effect of grahan is said to cast negative influence on individuals and activities performed during Chandra Grahan. Here is a list of things in particular that one should do or not do during Chandra Grahan 2016:
- Avoid eating the food which is cooked before Grahan. Only eat food cooked after Grahan. People can eat the food that is prevented from 'Soodak' . To prevent food from Soodak, just spill some til seeds or keep grass blades (Durva grass) on the food before grahan.
- Grahan and eat what is cooked after Grahan. Many also fast the whole day of Chandra Grahan.
- Perform Jaap, puja and religious recitation of mantra during Chandra Grahan
- Many also take a holy dip or bath after Chandra Grahan.
Temples Closed during Chandra Grahan
Legend has it that periodically Rahu indulges in a war with Surya and Chandra. During Chandra Grahan Rahu gulps the moon, casting its evil effect on Earth and its beings. Since Rahu is a malefic planet in Indian Astrology, to ward off its evil effect temples remain closed during Chandra Grahan.
Grahan Dosh Effects
The effect of Chandra Grahan 2016 will vary from person to person. However the birth chart of certain individuals is afflicted with, Chandra Grahan Dosh. Listed below is a combination of planets in birth chart responsible for Chandra Grahan Dosh :
Purna Chandra Grahan Dosh-When the Planet Moon and Ketu are placed together in the same house or they are aspecting each other.
Partial Chandra Grahan Dosh- When the Planet Moon and Rahu are present together in the same house or they are aspecting each other .
Effect of Chandra Grahan on different Rashi's
Chandra Grahan is said to cast a malefic effect on planet Earth and individuals. However the nature of influence differs from Rashi to Rashi. Predictions talking about the influence of Chandra Grahan 2016 on different Rashi's, range between bad, very bad and disastrous. Detailed predictions about the effect of Chandra Grahan 2016 and remedies to ward off the evil effect will be published soon for all our visitors.
Mantras to chant during Chandra Grahan 2016
- Chant mantras dedicated to Lord Vishnu or Shiva like the Ashtakshara Mantra or Mrityunjaya Mantra. Pregnant women chant the Santana Gopala Mantra.
- Chant the following mantra will reduce the ill-effects.
- राशिफल 2016
- Horoscope 2016
- Chinese Horoscope 2016
- Rashi Bhavishya 2016 in Gujarati
- Marathi Horoscope 2016
- Malayalam Jathakam 2016
- Kannada Jathaka 2016 - Kannada Horoscope 2016
- Rasi Phalalu 2016 - Telugu Horoscope 2016
- Tamil Horoscope 2016
- Free Download 2016 Wallpapers
- Lal Kitab Horoscope 2016
- Bhojpuri Rashifal 2016
- Bengali Horoscope 2016
- Wallpapers 2016
- Guru Purnima 2016
- Nag Panchami 2016
- Raksha Bandhan 2016
- Akshaya Tritiya 2016
- Hanuman Jayanti 2016
- Ram Navami 2016
- Chaitra Navratri 2016
- Gudi Padwa 2016
- Ugadi 2016
- Mahashivratri 2016
- Holika Dahan 2016
- Holi 2016
- Basant Panchmi 2016
- Saraswati Puja 2016
- Makar Sankranti 2017
- Valentine's Day
- Poornima Celebrations