Govardhan Puja 2017
Govardhan Puja, the auspicious day to worship & honor the heavenly hillock is celebrated on the day next to Diwali. Do you know this day is related to Lord Krishna? Do you know how this heavenly hillock saved millions of life? Read on this article & unveil the answers.
Festival of Govardhan Puja is the initiative of Lord Krishna. Then, why to ignore it? If Lord Krishna himself suggested his followers to perform Govardhan Puja, it must have got something special about it. Each Hindu festival has got a spiritual reason behind its celebration. Same is the case with Govardhan Puja. This day is associated with a legend of Lord Krishna.
Govardhan Puja 2017 is going to be commemorated on October 20, Friday. Govardhan Puja is widely celebrated in the regions of North India. On this day, Govardhan hill is worshiped.
What is Govardhan Puja?
Govardhan Puja is celebrated on the next day of Diwali. Sometimes, a gap of one day comes in between these two festivals, as per the calculations of lunar calendar. To go with the context of religious texts, Govardhan Puja should be celebrated at Pratipada Tithi of the month Kartik. The commencement of Govardhan Pooja depends upon the starting time of Pratipada. That is why this festival sometimes falls one day before, on the day of no moon night as per Hindu calendar. Most of the time Govardhan Puja day coincides with Gujarati New Year day, which is celebrated on Shukla Paksha Pratipada of Kartik month. Depending on starting time of Pratipada Tithi, Govardhan Puja celebrations could be done one day before Gujarati New Year day.
How To Celebrate Govardhan Puja?
- Govardhan Pooja is a dedication to nature and Lord Krishna as well. Many events are organised all around the country in the temples and food is offered to the people in need.
- Observances: Taking a round (Parikrama) of the Govardhan Hill, offering of food to Lord Krishna.
Why Is Govardhan Puja Celebrated?
Festival of Govardhan Pooja is commemorated to indirectly pay tribute to our mother nature, with the help of whom we survive on Earth. Vishnu Purana mentions that people of Gokul used to worship God Indra, as he is the lord of rain. To pay tribute to the deity, they used to celebrate festival as well. But Krishna of Gokul tried to change this perception. He said the Annakut hill, also called Govardhan is the real God to be worshiped. This hill gives them food; therefore, they should worship this mountain instead of worshiping Indra. Due to this, God Indra became angry and cursed people of Gokul with incessant rain. But Krishna of Gokul defeated him by lifting the Govardhan hill on his little finger and sheltered the natives under it. Since then, the day is being celebrated to commemorate Govardhan Puja in tribute of Govardhan hill.
Vishnu Puran mentions that people of Gokul used to worship God Indra and celebrate a festival to pay him tribute, as Indra is the God of rain. But Krishna of Gokul tried to change this perception. He said the Annakut hill, also called Govardhan is the real God to be worshipped. This hill gives them food; therefore they should worship this mountain instead of worshipping Indra. Due to this, God Indra became angry and cursed people of Gokul with incessant rain. But Krishna of Gokul defeated him by lifting the Govardhan hill on his little finger and sheltered the natives under it. Since then, the day is being celebrated to commemorate Govardhan Puja in tribute of Govardhan hill.
Occasion of Govardhan Puja is also celebrated as Annakut. In Maharashtra, this day is celebrated as Padwa or Bali Pratipada, as it is believed that on this day, King Bali comes out of Pataal Lok to rule over his kingdom every year.
This day is also celebrated to commemorate the victory of Vamana, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. It is said that on this day, Vamana defeated king Bali and pushed him to the Patal Lok. However, due to the boon given by Lord Vishnu, the king visits his kingdom and roams around Prithvi Lok on this day.
Govardhan Puja : Celebration of Annakut
As Gokul belongs to the Mathura city, Govardhan Puja is celebrated with great zeal and gusto in Mathura. Govardhan hill is situated in Mathura only. People take a round (Parikrama) of this hill on this day and perform Puja.
Mounds of Krishna aka Govardhandhari are made on this day. Devotees decorate these mounds with flowers and worship them. As the name 'Annakut' suggests food, people make different types of 'Bhog' (sacred food) in order to offer it to the Lord Krishna. On this day, the idols of deities are bathed in milk and dressed with new clothes and sparkling jewelry. After worshiping Lord Krishna, people offer 'Bhog' to the Lord and keep some portion of it as Prasad.
Govardhan Pooja is a dedication to nature and Lord Krishna as well. Many events are organised all around the country in the temples and food is offered to the people in need. Get the blessings of Lord Krishna and cherish the gifts of nature with Govardhan Puja.
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- ‘Yuti Yoga’ Formation In September: Who Will Win A Lottery, Who Will Suffer?
- Pitru Paksha 2022: Avoid Consuming These Food Items During This Period, Or Else…
- Weekly Horoscope 12-18 September, 2022: Know Fortunate-Unfortunate Signs Of The Week!
- Ashwin Month 2022 Begins; Brings Many Major Hindu Fasts-Festivals!
- Numerology Weekly Horoscope 11-17 September, 2022
- Follow Your Favorite Astrologers Now, Be A Part Of Their Network
- Mercury Retrograde In Virgo: Avoid Doing These Tasks During This Period!
- Chat With Astrologers, Only On AstroSage Kundli App
- Confused About Pitru Paksha Date? Read Here For Correct Date & Shraadh Vidhi!
- AstroSage Kundli Live: Real Astrologers, Authentic Astrology
- सितंबर में बनने जा रहा है ‘युति योग’: किसे रहना होगा सावधान-किसकी लगेगी लॉटरी?
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल 12 सितंबर से 18 सितंबर, 2022: यह सप्ताह इन राशियों के लिए रहेगा बेहद शुभ।
- अंक ज्योतिष साप्ताहिक राशिफल: 11 सितंबर से 17 सितंबर, 2022
- पसंदीदा ज्योतिषियों को फॉलो करके बने उनके नेटवर्क का हिस्सा : एस्ट्रोसेज वार्ता लाइव
- कन्या राशि में वक्री बुध: इन राशियों को मिलेंगे शुभ परिणाम।
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी से चैट करें सिर्फ़ एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली ऍप पर
- तिथि को लेकर न हों कनफ्यूज़- इस दिन से शुरू है पितृ पक्ष-नोट कर लें श्राद्ध की सही विधि!
- एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली लाइव : असल ज्योतिष और असली ज्योतिषी
- कन्या में गोचर कर सूर्य अन्य ग्रहों के साथ बनाएंगे कई बड़े योग, पढ़ें सूर्य के कन्या में गोचर का प्रभाव !
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी लाइव: एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली की रिवॉल्यूशनरी पहल