Lunar Eclipse 2022 Dates: Lunar Eclipse 2022 Timings
Lunar Eclipse 2022 by AstroSage will provide the reader with necessary information about the upcoming Lunar Eclipse 2022 dates and the time and location where they will occur. This article also covers topics like the impact of the 2022 lunar eclipse on health, precautions for pregnant women, and much more.
How Will The Year 2022 Turn Out To Be For You? Call & Avail The Services Of Our Esteemed Astrologers
When the earth’s shadow blocks out the sunlight that is supposed to be reflected off the moon, a lunar eclipse occurs. A lunar eclipse can only happen during a Full Moon. A total lunar eclipse can occur when the sun, earth, and moon are in perfect alignment. If this alignment is not perfect in any way, then either there is a partial lunar eclipse or no eclipse at all.
हिंदी में पढ़ने के लिए यहाँ क्लिक करें: चंद्र ग्रहण 2022
For thousands of years, before some great people could scientifically prove how the lunar eclipses occurred, humans were in awe and fear of the majestic lunar eclipse. Especially the total lunar eclipse that would turn blood-red all of a sudden and scare people the most, because they didn’t know the reason behind an eclipse and would blame gods or supernatural powers for these events. Over the years, people have become well aware of this phenomenon and how it occurs.
If you still don’t know about Lunar Eclipses, read the article below to garner all the necessary information.
Lunar Eclipse in 2022: The Phenomenon
Like is stated above, a lunar eclipse can only take place during a New Moon, but every New Moon doesn’t necessarily call for an eclipse. It is because, a perfect or partial three-way alignment between the moon, sun and the earth is a requisite for this phenomenon to occur. But since the moon’s orbit around the earth lies slightly in a different plane than the earth’s orbit around the sun, an eclipse doesn’t occur at every new moon.
During a lunar eclipse, two shadows cast by the earth fall on the moon’s surface- The umbra (complete, dark shadow), and the penumbra (partial outer shadow). The moon moves through both of these shadows in stages. Since the penumbral shadow is not prominent, the initial and last stages of an eclipse are not noticeable. So, it is when the moon is in the umbral shadow when the eclipse is the most noticeable.
The formation of the moon dates back to about 4.5 billion years ago. It is moving apart from the earth ever since by about 4 centimetres per year. Right now, the moon is at a perfect distance from the earth where the earth’s shadow can entirely cover the moon’s surface. But this won’t be the case billions of years from now because the moon would have moved very far away from the earth for this phenomenon to take place.
Lunar eclipses are less frequent than solar eclipses. While the maximum number of solar eclipses to occur in a calendar year is four, lunar eclipses can occur a maximum of three times. However, the solar eclipse is visible from fewer locations across the globe, roughly about a 50-mile wide path, whereas, a lunar eclipse is witnessed by over half of the globe.
Lunar Eclipses 2022 Dates
There will be two lunar eclipses in 2022. Check out the list below for more information-
|Type of Eclipse||Visibility||Time|
|Lunar Eclipse (Total)||South/West Europe, South/West Asia, Africa, Much of North America, South America, Pacific, Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Antarctica||May 15, 2022–16, 2022|
|Lunar Eclipse (Total)||North/East Europe, Asia, Australia, North America, Much of South America, Pacific, Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Arctic, Antarctica||November 8, 2022|
Note- Out of the two above-mentioned lunar eclipses- none will be visible from India. Dates, Time and Places are subjected to change.
250+ Pages Personalised AstroSage Brihat Horoscope Helps You Know All The Upcoming Events In Advance
Lunar Eclipse 2022- Types
There are three types of a lunar eclipse- Total, partial, and penumbral. Out of the three, the total eclipse is considered the most dramatic one because the earth’s shadow completely engulfs the moon in this eclipse.
Let's read in detail about the three types of eclipses-
Total Lunar Eclipse
During this eclipse, the moon is shadowed (umbral shadow) by the earth. It might appear as if there is no moon in the sky during a total eclipse, but this is not the case. Some of the sunlight that passes by the earth’s atmosphere is bent, scattered, refracted, or redirected on the moon. It gives the moon a soft glow, even when the earth is completely shutting out the sunlight from the moon’s surface.
Imagine you are standing on the moon facing towards the sun during a lunar eclipse. What will you see? You will see a black disc-like structure blocking the sunlight, and this disc-like structure is the earth. Since the radiant sun is glowing behind the black disk, it creates a glowing ring around the edges of the earth. The light of this glowing ring falls on the moon during a lunar eclipse. When the eclipse reaches totality, the eclipse viewers can see the moon turn red in color. Requisite conditions for a total lunar eclipse:
- A full moon
- The moon must be very close or at the lunar node so that the sun, the moon, and the earth are in a perfectly straight line.
Partial Lunar Eclipse
A partial lunar eclipse is when the sun, earth, and moon are not in a perfect alignment. Even a total lunar eclipse appears to be partial on either side of totality. During a partial lunar eclipse, it may seem as if the earth’s shadow has taken a bite of the moon. Requisite conditions for a partial lunar eclipse
- A full moon
- Near perfect alignment of the sun, the moon, and the earth
Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
It is the least dramatic lunar eclipse out of the three. A penumbral lunar eclipse occurs when the moon crosses through the vague outer part of the earth’s shadow called the penumbra. This lunar eclipse is not easily noticeable. Requisite conditions for a penumbral lunar eclipse
- A full moon
- The moon, the earth, and the sun should be nearly aligned (not as close as in a partial lunar eclipse)
Lunar Eclipse and Mythological Beliefs
When the phenomenon of the Lunar Eclipse was not scientifically proven, people around the world had different theories to explain the disappearance of the moon from the night sky. According to Ved Vyas, the Hindu Scriptures, a lunar eclipse occurs when the god of demons, Rahu, gets hold of the moon and the sun by his mouth. Since Rahu is a demon god, this celestial event represents negativity and evil energies.
It is surprising to see many of these stories turn into superstitions, and many people believe in them, even today.
To Attain Success In Your Career & Education: Order Your CogniAstro Report Now!
Things To Avoid During The Lunar Eclipse 2022
During a 2022 Lunar eclipse, many people follow the Sutak, a period of abstention. This period consists of a set of rules that are to be followed by the observer. This period begins a few hours before the commencement of the eclipse, until after it ends. People refrain from eating during this period and break their fast only after taking a bath once the eclipse has ended. Apart from this, there are various other things that people avoid doing during the Sutak period falling on Lunar Eclipse 2022 Dates. Let’s see what these things are-
- Avoid traveling or conducting important business activities during the Sutak period. This is because an eclipse is considered inauspicious for material activities
- Pregnant women should take special precautions during a lunar eclipse
- Stay indoors. Try not to let any eclipse light fall on you or inside your house during Sutak times
- Even though the lunar eclipse is not considered harmful for the eyes, the rishis and sages suggest not looking at the moon during an eclipse
- It is advised to cleanse your aura before and after the lunar eclipse by taking a proper bath
- Refrain from eating or drinking anything during the Sutak period. Discard any previously cooked food and prepare a new, fresh meal once the eclipse ends
- Conduct prayers, meditation, or sadhana during the actual time of the eclipse to reap great fruits and benefits
- If you want spiritual progress or to heighten your conscious awareness, an eclipse is considered to be one of the most suitable times to perform special, extended prayers
- Offering prayers to Lord Shiva (the Lord of Moon) helps in avoiding negative energies during a lunar eclipse. You can chant the following Mantra- “Om Namah Shivaya || ॐ नमः शिवाय ||”
Finance Report : Astrological Ways To Get Rid Of Financial Troubles
Lunar Eclipses 2022: Precautions for Pregnant Women
Pregnant ladies are advised to take special care during a lunar eclipse.
- Refrain from going out during the eclipse
- Refrain from watching the eclipse at any cost
- Do not fast. You are suggested to have a proper meal an hour before the eclipse begin
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes and tie your hair very loosely
- Keep Durva grass near you during the eclipse
- Stay away from sharp and pointed objects
- Avoid any cutting or stitching work in this period
- Do not take any type of mental or physical stress
- Take a bath just once, after the eclipse is over
- Chant the Santana Gopala Mantra-
|| Om Devki Sudha Govinda Vasudev Jagatpate
Dehime Taney Krishnan Twamaham Shrnam Gatah||
Lunar Eclipses 2022: Remedies
- According to the Vedic Puranas, the Moon represents power, energy, sentiments, emotions, and dreams. The people who have problems in their horoscope related to the moon must be cautious during a lunar eclipse as there are chances of danger and difficulties for them at this time.
- It is beneficial to perform poojas and worshiping divinities during the course of the lunar eclipse.
- It is advised to recite Om Namah Shivah Jaap, Shiva Jaap, Hari-Om Mantra, Mrityunjay Jaap, Durga Mantra, and Ganesh Mantra to avoid negative energy during the eclipse.
- For the people who have serious health issues, it is advised to conduct Rog Nirvana Pooja during the Blood Moon Eclipse.
- Worship Anusthan to obtain name, fame, prosperity, and opulence in Blood Moon Eclipse.
- It is said that consuming food items during the lunar eclipse should be avoided, and there is a scientific reason for that. Throughout the lunar eclipse period, some gasses and toxic substances are produced that turns the consumed meal in your stomach into poison (symbolic). This results in unhealthy outcomes. Therefore, consuming food must be avoided during this time.
Ways to See Lunar Eclipses in 2022
Lunar Eclipse is a magical phenomenon, and no one wants to miss it. It is also among few events that can be sky watched with utmost ease. All you have to do is look up and enjoy the beautiful view. There is no requirement for any special equipment. However, if you want to see this phenomenon closely, with details, use binoculars or a small telescope. If the eclipse is taking place in winters, like the one falling in November this year, you can go out in open with cozy blankets and hot chocolate, and wait for the eclipse to unfold, which may take a few hours.
Longest Lunar Eclipse
The longest recorded duration of a lunar eclipse in totality is 106 minutes. This can take place when the moon moves through the center of the earth’s shadow, and the moon is very close or at the apogee. Apogee is the farthest point from Earth in its orbit. The moon moves slowly when it is near apogee and requires a longer time to move through the earth’s shadow. One of the longest recorded total lunar eclipses was visible in Australia, eastern Asia, and the Pacific Ocean on July 16, 2000. It lasted for the duration of 106 minutes and 25 seconds. Studies suggest that the next longer total lunar eclipse will be observed in August 4753, which will last for 106 minutes and 35 seconds.
Red Moon in Lunar Eclipse
The color of the moon mostly turns to a beautiful red or orange during a total lunar eclipse. This color change occurs because of the sunlight that passes through the earth’s atmosphere and bends towards the moon. The other colors in the spectrum are scattered and blocked by the atmosphere, but the red color easily makes it through. This phenomenon is termed Rayleigh scattering. It is through this phenomenon only that the sky appears to be blue and sunrises and sunsets seem colorful.
Lunar Eclipses 2022: Impact on Health
- Effect on Eyes- It is completely safe to see a lunar eclipse with naked eyes, unlike the solar eclipse, which is considered extremely harmful for the eyes. You can view a lunar eclipse without any protective glasses or equipment.
- Effect on Fertility- It is believed that woman’s period, and moon cycle is interrelated. So, the lunar eclipse can help synchronize the menstrual cycle. According to popular beliefs, the moon is considered a symbol of fertility, so the period of a lunar eclipse can be a favorable time to get pregnant for women who are ovulating.
- Food Contamination- The eclipse in 2022 also affects the foods, according to astrology. Therefore, it is advised not to consume any solid or liquid food item during the eclipse. Precooked food should be discarded during this time as the ultraviolet rays that the moon emits can make the food unsafe for consumption.
- Mood Swings- 2022 Lunar eclipse also have an impact on people’s mood and can worsen the symptoms of depression and anxiety. It may also trigger sleep deprivation in humans.
For Astrological Remedies, Suggestions & Services, Visit: AstroSage Online Shopping Store
We hope that you liked the article on Lunar Eclipse 2022 by AstroSage. Thank you for connecting with us!