Raksha Bandhan 2017 Date - Rakhi Festival
Raksha Bandhan in 2017 will be observed on 7th of August. This festival signifies the strong bond filled with love and care between a brother and a sister. It is marked on a full moon day, i.e. Purnima, in the Hindu month Shravana. It is also known as Rakhi Purnima as this day falls on the Shravana Purnima. Also called as Rakhi or Rakhri in different parts of India. To know more, read on this article..
The festival is observed by Hindus and some Sikhs also. The ceremony of Raksha Bandhan comprises mainly of tying a sacred knot of Rakhi by a sister to her brother. The knot symbolizes the love of sister to her brother and her prayers for his well being along with a lifelong vow of brother to protect his sister throughout his life. The festival of Raksha Bandhan falls on the full moon day or Shravana Purnima of the shravana month, according to Hindu calendar.
Raksha Bandhan Ceremony and Rituals
The rituals of the festival include tying Rakhi, a sacred thread, on the brother's wrist by his sister. The Rakhi or holy thread comes in many colors and designs and girls can choose over a variety of threads of their choice. The brother gives a gift and even money in return to his sister. The brother also takes a vow to protect his sister in every stage of life and in any circumstances. Sister presents sweets to her brother, applies tilak (vermillion mark), does Aarti and blesses her brother with long and successful life. The sisters also tie Rakhi to their male cousins and follow the same rituals as done with their own brothers. The brothers commit to a lifelong protection of their sisters in every situation.
You can also make this festival even more bright by setting Raksha Bandhan wallpapers as your desktop and laptop background.
Legends Behind Raksha Bandhan
While celebrating Raksha Bandhan, it is a good idea to know the legends associated with this festival.
The legend of Krishna and Draupadi
The legend comes from the ancient Mahabharata concerned with Lord Krishna and Draupadi, wife of the Pandavas. She once torn a strip of her saree and tied it on the wounds of Lord Krishna that he got in the battlefield. Seeing the dedication and love of Draupadi, he declared her as his sister and vowed to repay it whenever needed. Draupadi was married to the great five warriors, the Pandavas, but still she relied on Lord Krishna. Yudhisthira lost his wife Draupadi to Kauravas during a match of gamble. She was then subjected to Cheer-Haran. Her saree was stripped off in front of the whole assembly, but then Lord Krishna emerged and kept his vow of protecting her always. Lord Krishna extended her Saree through divine means that made the saree to be never ending. The honor of Draupadi was saved as the saree could not be removed. In this manner Lord Krishna kept his vows of protecting Draupadi and protecting her dignity in any situation.
The Legend of King Bali and Goddess Laxmi
According to this legend, King Bali, the demon king, was a great devotee of Lord Vishnu. Lord Vishnu had taken up the charge to safeguard his kingdom. He left his own abode in Vaikunth. Goddess Lakshmi wanted to be with Lord Vishnu. She went to the kingdom of Bali disguised as a woman to seek shelter till her husband came back.
During the celebration of Shravana Purnima, Goddess Lakshmi tied the sacred yellow thread to King Bali. Upon being asked, she disclosed who she was and for what purpose she was there. The king was touched by her benevolence for his family and her purpose. He then appealed Lord Vishnu to accompany her. He gave up all he had for the Lord and his dedicated wife.
Since then, yellow thread was made popular for the Raksha Bandhan ceremony.
It is said that since then it has been a tradition followed by brothers to invite sisters in Shravana Purnima for the Raksha Bandhan. Then the ceremony of tying Rakhi on the wrist of brother is followed along with other rituals.
The celebrations of Raksha Bandhan last for a day. Various types of sweets are prepared and girls get ready for the ceremony. The festival gives a chance to brothers and sisters to share love and respect for each other.
people also love to wish each other on raksha bandhan through raksha bandhan SMS. Click on the Raksha Bandhan SMS to get beautiful SMS, so that you can wish your loved ones on this auspicious occasion. Happy Raksha Bandhan..!
Read Other Zodiac Sign Horoscope 2017
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- ‘Yuti Yoga’ Formation In September: Who Will Win A Lottery, Who Will Suffer?
- Pitru Paksha 2022: Avoid Consuming These Food Items During This Period, Or Else…
- Weekly Horoscope 12-18 September, 2022: Know Fortunate-Unfortunate Signs Of The Week!
- Ashwin Month 2022 Begins; Brings Many Major Hindu Fasts-Festivals!
- Numerology Weekly Horoscope 11-17 September, 2022
- Follow Your Favorite Astrologers Now, Be A Part Of Their Network
- Mercury Retrograde In Virgo: Avoid Doing These Tasks During This Period!
- Chat With Astrologers, Only On AstroSage Kundli App
- Confused About Pitru Paksha Date? Read Here For Correct Date & Shraadh Vidhi!
- AstroSage Kundli Live: Real Astrologers, Authentic Astrology
- सितंबर में बनने जा रहा है ‘युति योग’: किसे रहना होगा सावधान-किसकी लगेगी लॉटरी?
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल 12 सितंबर से 18 सितंबर, 2022: यह सप्ताह इन राशियों के लिए रहेगा बेहद शुभ।
- अंक ज्योतिष साप्ताहिक राशिफल: 11 सितंबर से 17 सितंबर, 2022
- पसंदीदा ज्योतिषियों को फॉलो करके बने उनके नेटवर्क का हिस्सा : एस्ट्रोसेज वार्ता लाइव
- कन्या राशि में वक्री बुध: इन राशियों को मिलेंगे शुभ परिणाम।
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी से चैट करें सिर्फ़ एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली ऍप पर
- तिथि को लेकर न हों कनफ्यूज़- इस दिन से शुरू है पितृ पक्ष-नोट कर लें श्राद्ध की सही विधि!
- एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली लाइव : असल ज्योतिष और असली ज्योतिषी
- कन्या में गोचर कर सूर्य अन्य ग्रहों के साथ बनाएंगे कई बड़े योग, पढ़ें सूर्य के कन्या में गोचर का प्रभाव !
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी लाइव: एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली की रिवॉल्यूशनरी पहल