Somvati Amavasya 2017 Dates
Somvati Amavasya in 2017 is on August 21 and December 18. This Amavasya falls only on the day of Monday. It is observed to be auspicious for all the married women. Performing Pitru Puja is considered to be auspicious as it soothes the souls of our ancestors. Read on to know more about this Amavasya...
Want to know when to please your ancestors in 2017? Check out Shradh 2017 Dates: Shradh 2017
The Peepal tree is considered as a sacred tree as per the Indian traditions and on the auspicious day of Somvati Amavasya women tie a sacred thread around its trunk for 108 times. Parikrama around the tree is performed for 108 times and it is offered with milk, sandal paste, flowers and vermillion. Devotees sit under the Peepal tree and chant Mantras to please the Almighty.
Somvati Amavasya: The Legend
As per the story of Somvati Amavasya, once upon a time there lived a money lender who had seven sons and one daughter. He married all his sons but could not find a suitable match for his daughter.
A monk visited their house regularly and blessed the money lender's daughters-in-law but never blessed the daughter. The daughter told her mother about this and she confronted the monk with this question. The monk did reply and left quietly. This really worried the mother and she called a Pandit.
The Pandit told her that her daughter was destined to become a widow. The girl's mother asked the Pandit for a solution to the problem. He told them that there was a washerwoman who lived on the island of Singhal. If that woman agrees to apply vermilion (Sindoor) on the forehead of the girl, her fate will change. The Pandit also told them that observing fast of Somvati Amavasya will also be instrumental in reversing her fate.
The mother sent her daughter and her youngest son to that island. On their way to the island they came across sea shore and wondered how to cross it. Sitting under a tree they saw a vulture's nest. A male and female vulture lived there with their babies. One day when both vultures had gone out of their nest to fetch some food, a snake entered their nest and attacked the babies. All this was being witnessed by the girl who was sitting there. She immediately jumped to help the vulture babies and saved them from the attack.
When the vultures returned they were really pleased to know what had just happened. As a token of their gratitude they helped the girl to reach the washer woman's house. After reaching her destination she started living with the washer woman.
After a few months the woman was really pleased with the girl and applied vermilion (Sindoor) on her forehead. While returning back to her house she also observed Somvati Amavasya. This reversed her fate and then she lived a happy married life with her husband.
Spiritual Importance of Somvati Amavasya
The darkness of Somvati Amavasya transcends into a beautiful morning which gives us hope that all our sorrows will go away. It also signifies that only after absolute darkness comes a light, which means that absolute despair gives birth to extreme happiness and bliss. Therefore, we should not be afraid of the dark and be ready to face all the troubles that come our way.
Freedom from Pitra Dosha
It is believed that on this day married women fast praying for the long life of their husbands. They take Holy Dip in the Ganga and pray to the Almighty. is worshiped on this day by all the married women of Hindu religion. This day is also very auspicious for performing Pitra Tarpan (offering to the ancestors) as it provides peace to their souls. People suffering from Pitra Dosh should also observe this fast as it frees them from it.
It is believed that observing this helps us get rid of all the sorrows and problems. We wish all of you a very happy Somvati Amavasya 2017!
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- ‘Yuti Yoga’ Formation In September: Who Will Win A Lottery, Who Will Suffer?
- Pitru Paksha 2022: Avoid Consuming These Food Items During This Period, Or Else…
- Weekly Horoscope 12-18 September, 2022: Know Fortunate-Unfortunate Signs Of The Week!
- Ashwin Month 2022 Begins; Brings Many Major Hindu Fasts-Festivals!
- Numerology Weekly Horoscope 11-17 September, 2022
- Follow Your Favorite Astrologers Now, Be A Part Of Their Network
- Mercury Retrograde In Virgo: Avoid Doing These Tasks During This Period!
- Chat With Astrologers, Only On AstroSage Kundli App
- Confused About Pitru Paksha Date? Read Here For Correct Date & Shraadh Vidhi!
- AstroSage Kundli Live: Real Astrologers, Authentic Astrology
- सितंबर में बनने जा रहा है ‘युति योग’: किसे रहना होगा सावधान-किसकी लगेगी लॉटरी?
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल 12 सितंबर से 18 सितंबर, 2022: यह सप्ताह इन राशियों के लिए रहेगा बेहद शुभ।
- अंक ज्योतिष साप्ताहिक राशिफल: 11 सितंबर से 17 सितंबर, 2022
- पसंदीदा ज्योतिषियों को फॉलो करके बने उनके नेटवर्क का हिस्सा : एस्ट्रोसेज वार्ता लाइव
- कन्या राशि में वक्री बुध: इन राशियों को मिलेंगे शुभ परिणाम।
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी से चैट करें सिर्फ़ एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली ऍप पर
- तिथि को लेकर न हों कनफ्यूज़- इस दिन से शुरू है पितृ पक्ष-नोट कर लें श्राद्ध की सही विधि!
- एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली लाइव : असल ज्योतिष और असली ज्योतिषी
- कन्या में गोचर कर सूर्य अन्य ग्रहों के साथ बनाएंगे कई बड़े योग, पढ़ें सूर्य के कन्या में गोचर का प्रभाव !
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी लाइव: एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली की रिवॉल्यूशनरी पहल