Coronavirus: stay at home Leave your home if it's necessary. It will help stop the spread of novel coronavirus & COVID-19
Ekadasi Fast Dates In 2017: Most Meritorious Day To Kill All Sins
On the day of Ekadashi, devotees observe fast in order to get rid from their past life sins. Lord Vishnu is being worshipped on this day. Ekadashi is observed two times in a month, one is in Krishna Paksha and the other one is in Shukla Paksha. The 11th day of Krishna as well as Shukla Paksha is known to be an Ekadashi. Read on to know more...
Significance Of Ekadashi Fast
Ekadashi or Hari Vasara can be observed by anyone. The day begins with a ritualistic bath, which is then followed by prayers. Throughout the day they worship Lord Vishnu by chanting Mantras and performing Puja.
Ekadashi Table 2017
|8 January||Sunday||Pausha Putrada Ekadashi|
|23 January||Monday||Shattila Ekadashi|
|7 February||Tuesday||Jaya Ekadashi|
|22 February||Wednesday||Vijaya Ekadashi (Vaishnav)|
|8 March||Wednesday||Amalaki Ekadashi|
|24 March||Friday||Papamochani Ekadashi|
|7 April||Friday||Kamada Ekadashi|
|22 April||Saturday||Varuthini Ekadashi|
|6 May||Saturday||Mohini Ekadashi|
|22 May||Monday||Apara Ekadashi|
|5 June||Monday||Nirjala Ekadashi|
|20 June||Tuesday||Yogini Ekadashi (Smarth)|
|4 July||Tuesday||Devshayani Ekadashi (Vaishnav)|
|19 July||Wednesday||Kamika Ekadashi|
|3 August||Thursday||Pavitra Ekadashi|
|18 August||Friday||Aja Ekadashi|
|2 September||Saturday||Parsva/Parivartini Ekadashi|
|16 September||Saturday||Indira Ekadashi|
|1 October||Sunday,||Papankusha Ekadashi (Vaishnav)|
|15 October||Sunday||Rama Ekadashi|
|31 October||Tuesday||Devutthana Ekadashi|
|14 November||Tuesday||Utpanna Ekadashi|
|30 November||Thursday||Mokshada Ekadashi|
|13 December||Wednesday||Saphla Ekadashi|
|29 December||Friday||Pausha Putrada Ekadashi|
Mythological Significance Of Ekadashi
As per the beliefs of Hinduism, Ekadashi was a Goddess who defeated the devil Mura. She was granted a boon by Lord Vishnu that anybody who will observe fast on Ekadashi will be relieved from his sins, thereby attaining Moksha or salvation.
Legend Of Ekadashi
Legend says, once Lord Vishnu was in Yog Nidra when Murdanav a demon, came to challenge him. At that moment, a young lady arose from the eleven Indriyas (senses) of Vishnu. Surprised by her beauty, the demon Murdanav asked her for her hand in marriage. To this, the lady agreed, but on the condition that he would duel with her. The demon was so much consumed by passion that he agreed for the fight; during which she killed him. Pleased with the lady's devotion, Lord Vishnu granted her a boon. In response, the lady sought for the name Ekadashi for her, as she was emerged from the eleven senses of Lord Vishnu. The lady replied that she would like her name to be Ekadashi, as she was emerged from the Ekadash (the eleven senses) of Lord Vishnu. Her wish came true and Lord Vishnu blessed her with the boon that observing Ekadashi fast will free the devotee from all the sins. He will get fruitful results and will attain Moksha (salvation). Since then, Ekadashi fast came into existence and occurs twice every month.
Why Fast On Ekadashi?
Majority of us know that observing fast on the day of Ekadashi burns all the sins and guilts. But, this fast has immense importance in our scriptures too. It says that, our mind is somewhere linked with Ekadashi and motion of Moon. This results in our mind achieving maximum efficiency on this particular day. Like our mind, our body also shares a relation with the fortnight of Ekadashi. Due to the effect of this day, dietary irregularities of our body gets cured.
1. Putrada Ekadashi: This fast is observed by those married couples who are praying for a baby.
2. Shattila Ekadashi: On the day of Shattila Ekadashi, Til (sesame) is used in the below mentioned ways:
- For making donations
- In meals
- In Havana
- As Ubtan
3. Jaya Ekadashi: Jaya Ekadashi was explained by Lord Krishna to Yudhishthira.
4. Vijaya Ekadashi:It is said that Lord Rama observed this fast before going to war with King Ravana.
5. Amalaki Ekadashi: Observing fast on Amalaki Ekadashi bestows the observer with prosperity and fortune.
6. Papamochani Ekadashi: Observing fast on this day frees you from all your wrongdoings.
7. Kamada Ekadashi: Kamada Ekadashi is observed to get relief from sins and guilts, which are a result of lust.
8. Varuthini Ekadashi: To live a prosperous and happy life, Varuthini Ekadashi is observed by the devotees.
9. Mohini Ekadashi: This Ekadashi fast is observed for a harmonious life. It is also believed that a person undergoing misery or sadness effectively overcomes such problems.
10. Apara Ekadashi: It is believed that one can overcome their sins by keeping fast on Apara Ekadashi. Also, he/she gets Moksha (salvation).
11. Nirjala Ekadashi: Nirjala Ekadashi fast is the most difficult fast among all the Ekadashi fasts. On this day, the observer does not consume even a single drop of water.
12. Yogini Ekadashi: Yogini Ekadashi frees the observer from serious diseases and other health issues.
13. Devshayani Ekadashi: It is believed that on the day of Devshayani Ekadashi, Lord Vishnu sleeps for a period of four months.
14. Kamika Ekadashi: Observing Kamika Ekadashi is highly fruitful for seeking Lord Vishnu's blessings and performing sacred acts.
15. Aja Ekadashi: Aja Ekadashi wards off all the sins and bad activities.
16. Parivartana Ekadashi: On this particular Ekadashi, Lord Vishnu who lays on Adishesha turns to the other side which is known as Parivarthan.
17. Indira Ekadashi: Indira Ekadashi frees not only the individual's sins, but also sins committed by their ancestors.
18. Papankusha Ekadashi:It is said that Papankusha Ekadashi fast is equal to performing a number of Hawans and Pujas. Also, it helps in fulfillment of every wish of yours.
19. Rama Ekadashi: To ward off the evil talks and sins, observing Rama Ekadashi is highly fruitful.
20. Prabodhini Ekadashi: As per the Hindu beliefs, it is on this day, Lord Vishnu wakes up from his cosmic sleep.
21. Utpanna Ekadashi: Utpanna Ekadashi is the step toward seeking Lord Vishnu's blessings and shelter.
22. Mokshada Ekadashi: To attain Moksha (salvation), Mokshada Ekadashi is kept by the devotees.
23. Saphala Ekadashi: According to the customs of the Hindus, Saphala Ekadashi fast wards off the sins committed by the previous generations.
24. Haribodhini (Devutthana) Ekadashi:: It is believed that on this day all the Gods wake up from their long sleep of months. To mark this day, Pujas are performed and conch is blown.
Scientific Importance Of Ekadashi Fasting
- Studies show that, atmospheric pressure drops down during Ekadashi days. Therefore, it is considered to be the best time to observe fast and cleanse our bodies. Another belief carried on Ekadashi days is that the body loses the sense of pain while performing body cleansing. In this way, mechanism of entire body is refreshed; specifically the stomach/ liver/ bowel.
- It is said that observing Ekadashi fast enhances the concentration level of the observer.
Materials Required For Ekadashi Puja
- A picture of the deity (Lord Vishnu)
- Tulsi leaves
- Other Pooja essentials
How To Observe Ekadashi Puja
- Start your day with a clean bath
- Worship Lord Vishnu by lighting a lamp and offering Tulsi leaves and fruits.
- If possible, visit Lord Vishnu's temple.
- Vishnu Sahasranamam
- Vishnu Ashtothram
- 'ॐ नमो नारायणाय’ Mantra chanting
Next Day Morning
Ekadashi fast comes to an end on the day of Dwadashi (next day) by lighting a lamp to Lord Vishnu.
What To Eat
Devotees who observe fast on Ekadashi rely on milk, fruits, nuts or Sabudana (Sago) Khichdi. On this day, only a single meal is taken and intake of salt, onion and garlic is avoided.
Health Benefits Of Ekadashi Fasting
The body gets cleaned and its metabolism improves while fasting. Have a look at some of the health benefits you gain while observing Ekadashi fast.
Cleaning of intestines - Frequently occurring health problems get solved with Ekadashi fast. Keeping the fasts also cleans the intestines and provides immunity to the body. Further, observing fast on this day provides mental satisfaction and peace, by way of self-realization.
Improves lifestyle - With the observance of the fast, the flow of blood improves and toxins are removed. You will feel younger, as this fast slows down the aging process.
Ekadashi will help you abolish all your sins and mistakes committed. Observe this day with faith and belief in Lord Vishnu to seek his blessings. With all the dates and details mentioned above, make the best of each Ekadashi and take a step toward a clear, successful and harmonious path.