Naga Panchami 2017 : Importance of Naga Panchmi festival
Naga Panchami 2017 date is July 27. It is considered to be a prominent festivals of Hindus. So many people have faith in this festival. This is the reason why they keep fast on this auspicious day and think that their wish will come true observing the same. Come, Let us together unravel some interesting facts related to this festival and learn about some rituals attached to this festival through this article...
When is Naga Panchami in 2017 ?
Naga Panchami 2017 date is July 27. People celebrate Nagpanchami on every Panchami i.e. the 5th day of Shukla Paksha (waxing moon period) in the Shravan month. This festival is solely dedicated to worship the snakes. This festival possess a great importance in the Indian culture. A number of people admire the snake or Nag as their Kula Devata. Snake is considered to be the important deity for the Indians. Snake is also called out to be the ornament of God Shiva. The ancient scriptures of India tell us that the Sheshnag of Lord Vishnu bears the weight of earth on his head. During this festival, devotees in great numbers worship the snakes. There is also another belief that to feed milk to the snake during Nag Panchami is supposed to protect you from the bites of the venomous snakes.
Importance Of Naga Panchmi
Nag Panchami is a very important festival of Hindus. This festival is celebrated in Shravana month on the fifth day after the Amavasya. This festival is also called as Nagar Panchami. In some parts of India, This festival is also celebrated on the fifth day after the Purnima in the month of Ashar. This festival is also called as Manasa Devi Ashtanga Puja due to the reason that on this day, the Snake Goddess Manasa Devi and Ashta Nag are worshipped. This festival is also called Guga Navami in Punjab. On this auspicious day, People make a huge snake from flour and worship it. On this day, Sheshnag (the God of Snakes) and other Nagas are also worshipped. People also celebrate this day to commemorate Lord Krishna's victory over Kaliya Snake. Some people send Nag Panchami SMS to each other on this day.
There is a belief attached to the festival that the unmarried woman who keep fast or Nag Panchami Vrat and Puja and also feed the snakes will be getting good husbands. Moreover, they also get protection from the snake bites. Naga Panchami Festival day is considered to be a good day to perform pujas such as Naga Puja in any Shiva Temple and Kaal Sarp Dosh Nivaran Puja at Trimbakeshwar in the district Nashik. A Kaal Sarpa Dosha is a very important puja and it is performed by the people who are affected with the Kaal Sarpa Dosha.
Rituals Observed On Naga Panchami
- People visit the temples on this day and snake pits which are present in the temples in order to worship the Nagas.
- People keep fast on this day and consume the food in the evening time.
- An individual gets freedom from the fear of the snakes and serpents by praying the Naga Devatas. One also gets protection from all evils by praying the Naga Devatas.
- The person who worships the serpents on this auspicious day is not supposed to dig the ground for agriculture reason or any other reason.
- People have a belief that as Gods like to shower their blessing through rain on the snake's hood on this auspicious day, so it is very certain that it certainly rains on this particular day.
- On this day, the Ant hills and the Snake pits are worshipped by the people who offer milk , kumkum and a pinch of turmeric.
- A person is supposed not to harm any snakes or rodents if they are visible to us during this time.
- People perform the Naga Puja in the nearby temples in order to get relief from the Naga Dosha.
- There is a belief that nobody should not fry anything on this Nag Panchami day. On this day, only steamed and boiled food is preferred by the people.
Wish all our Visitors a Very Happy Nag Panchami..!!