Sawan Somvar Vrat 2016: Let Shiva Present You A Protective Shield!
Here, AstroSage presents you the dates of Sawan Somwar Vrat. All of you are familiar of the aggressive form of Shiva. But, it is worth noticing that Lord Shiva also shields you from all the negativities around. Read the article to know more.
Sawan Somvar Vrat 2016: What Is Sawan Somvar Vrat?
The month of Shravan brings you the opportunity to be bestowed with divinity for the complete 30 days. Savan month is an auspicious period to worship deities from heavenly abode, and among them all, Lord Shiva is considered to be the most divine. It is believed that venerating Lord Shiva during the month of Shiva (Sawan) brings in welcoming results.
Savan is the fifth month of Hindu Calendar . The whole month is primarily devoted to Lord Shiva and Sawan Somvar Vrats (fasts) are performed in order to invoke his blessings. As the name suggests, Sawan Somvar Vrat is performed on Mondays. Sawan Somvar Vrat are performed by woman in the desire of a safe and protected household. Unmarried girls also perform the fast of Sawan Somvar Vrat, who desire for an ideal husband in their life.
There’s a lot to know about Sawan Somvar Vrat, but before proceeding forward, let’s know the dates of Sawan Somvar Vrats in 2016.
Sawan Somvar Vrat 2016 Dates
The dates of Sawan Somvar Vrat vary from region to region. Let’s first look at the Sawan Somvar Vrat dates for Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh and Bihar.
Sawan Somvar Vrat Dates For Rajasthan, U.P., M.P., Himachal Pradesh, Punjab & Bihar
|First Day Of Sawan Month||Wednesday||July 20|
|Sawan Somvar Vrat 2016||Monday||July 25|
|Sawan Somvar Vrat 2016||Monday||August 1|
|Savan Somvar Vrat 2016||Monday||August 8|
|Sawan Somvar Vrat 2016||Monday||August 15|
|Last Day Of Sawan Month||Thursday||August 18|
Now, let’s take a look at the dates for observing Savan Somvar Vrat in the regions of West India and South India.
Sawan Somvar Vrat Dates For West & South India
|First Day Of Sawan Month||Wednesday||August 3|
|Sawan Somvar Vrat 2016||Monday||August 8|
|Sawan Somvar Vrat 2016||Monday||August 15|
|Savan Somvar Vrat 2016||Monday||August 22|
|Savan Somvar Vrat 2016||Monday||August 29|
|Last Day Of Sawan Month||Thursday||September 1|
Now, as you know the dates of observing Sawan Somvar Vrat in 2016, we hope that you would be able to perform Sawan Somvar Vrat, be it anywhere in India.
But, there’s always a reason to observe Sawan Somvar Vrat with such divinity. Let’s proceed further to know the legends linked with Sawan Somvar Vrat that made it so significant.
Sawan Somvar Vrat 2016: Why To Observe Sawan Somvar Vrat In 2016?
According to Puranic texts, Samudra Manthan took place in the Shravan month, when the gods and the demons churned the ocean. In response, fourteen divine items emerged out of the ocean. As a surprise, Halahala (deadly poison) also came out as a by-product.
The poison was partaken by Shiva to save the world from destruction. It was swallowed by Shiva and it could not seep through his throat. The swallowing of Halahala turned his throat blue. Since then, he came to be attributed as Neelkantha (blue throat).
This eventually came to be the reason of observing Sawan Somvar Vrat (in the month of Savan) in honor of Lord Shiva.
Now, we will discuss the traditions and rituals involved with Sawan Somvar Vrat.
Sawan Somvar Vrat 2016: How To Observe Sawan Somvar Vrat In 2016?
Sawan Somvar Vrat is categorized into three types:
- Savan Somvar : This is the fast that is observed on Mondays, in the month of Savan.
- Solah Somvar : Solah Somvar Vrats include the observance of sixteen fasts on consecutive Mondays. They commence in the month of Savan.
- Somya Pradosh : Somya Pradosh Vrat is observed till the evening in Shravan month.
Following are the ways that you can adopt to observe the Sawan Somvar Vrat:
- One should get up early in the morning and take a purifying bath.
- You should go to the nearest Shiva temple and offer milk to Shiva Lingam.
- If you are at home, clean the Puja Sthana (worshiping place) and adorn your soul to welcome the lord.
- A Sankalp (oath) is taken, that you will perform the Sawan Somvar Vrat with utter devotion.
- Puja is performed twice to Lord Shiva. Cleanse yourself properly to venerate the lord once again, after the Sun sets.
- Solah Somvar Vrat Katha or Sawan Vrat Katha is considered to be an important element in the Puja. While performing Sawan Somvar Vrat, Somvar Vrat Katha is recited. Solah Somvar Vrat Katha depicts the life journey of Lord Shiva and his significance.
- After the Puja gets over, Prasad (sacred food offering) is distributed among the family members.
There is a Mantra , which is chanted in the name of Lord Shiva during Sawan Somvar Vrats. Let’s take a look at the Sawan Somvar Vrat Mantra:
Although, Lord Shiva is associated with the role a destructor, he is also considered to be the divine power that protects us from worldly evils. This Sawan Somvar in 2016, be ready with devout hearts to worship Lord Shiva. You will surely get you desires granted!
The month of Savan might be most awaited for its pleasing weather, but this time, let this pleasing weather turn into divinity. Worship Lord Shiva with a pure heart, and Lord Shiva will bring you a heavenly shield. This would definitely protect you from the negativities around you.
AstroSage wishes you all a divine intervention during the Sawan Somvar Vrats in 2016!