Sawan 2019: Discover The Significance Of The Sawan Month In Hinduism
As per the Panchang, the Shravan Month is the fifth month of the Hindu calendar. In layman terms, it is often called the month of sawan. Matching it with the Gregorian calendar, sawan falls during July and August approximately. This year i.e. in 2019, the sawan month is beginning from 17 July and will end on 15 August. This month of sawan is a very delightful time, as the whole environment seems magical and there’s greenery all around you. The Hindu religion considers this month to be holy, and it is also believed that this month is devoted to Lord Shiva. Worshipping Bholenath in this auspicious duration has a great significance in Hinduism. Also, it is said that during the Shravan month, it rains because of the blessings of Lord Indra, and not only human beings but all living organisms get relief from the blazing heat of the Ashadha month. Every day of this month is special in its own way. According to the Astrological scriptures, in this month of shravan, the luminary planet Sun makes its transit into its own sign, Leo, and its influence can be seen on all the zodiac signs in this duration.
Sawan Somvar Vrat 2019: When To Fast On Monday During sawan
|First sawan Somvar Vrat||Monday||22 July 2019|
|Second sawan Somvar Vrat||Monday||29 July 2019|
|Third sawan Somvar Vrat||Monday||5 August 2019|
|Fourth sawan Somvar Vrat||Monday||12 August 2019|
Special Festivals In This sawan Month
Mythological Tales Related With Sawan Month
As per mythology, the samudra manthan (churning of the sea using the Mount Mandara as the churning rod, and Vasuki, the churning rope) between the devas and the asuras happened during this month. 14 jewels were released from the Kshirsagar (Ocean of Milk) in this process. One such thing that emerged was the Halahala poison as well. It is believed that this poison was so lethal that it could have destroyed the entire universe. In such a scenario, Lord Shiva, in order to protect the creation decided to consume the poison. However, this turned his throat blue, and henceforth he was also called Neelakantha, the blue-throated one (neela=blue; kantha=throat). To thank Bholenath Lord Shiva for this great role that he played in stopping the destruction of the universe, people worship him with utmost devotion during the Shravan month. Devotees undertake the Kanwar Yatra during which they get gangajal (water of the holy Ganga) to perform his abhishek. They also keep fasts on every Monday of this month (Sawan Somwar), so as to appease the Destroyer and attain his blessings and divine grace.
Sawan Somvar Vrat Vidhi (Methodology For Fasting on Savan Mondays)
As per the Shiva Purana, the month of Shravan and the day, Monday, both are very dear to Mahadev. Therefore, whoever fasts during the Sawan Somwar, Bholenath fulfills all of their desires and wishes. There is a very specific method of fasting during the Mondays of savan. Worshipping Lord Shiva with Bel Patra (leaves of Bel) and offering water on shivling is considered rather favorable. Married ladies fast on this day to pray for the longevity of their husbands while the unmarried fast to ask for a suitable husband. The proper rituals and procedures that need to be followed for the sawan somvar fasts are:
- Wake up early in the morning before sunrise and take a bath after being done with your morning rituals.
- Clean the area of worship and set up an altar (Vedi).
- Go to a Shiva Temple and offer milk on the shivling.
- Now take resolution for the fasts of Mahadev with utmost devotion.
- Worship Bholenath twice a day (morning and evening).
- Light a diya (lamp) of sesame oil for puja and offer flowers to Lord Bholenath.
- With chanting of the mantras, offer supari (betel), panchamrit, coconut, and Bel leaves.
- You must recite the Savan Vrat Katha (story behind the fast) during the fast.
- Distribute prasad as soon as the puja concludes.
- Break your fast only in the evening once the puja concludes. Afterwards, you can eat normal food.
- Chant the mantra “ॐ नमः शिवाय/oṃ namaḥ śivāya” during the puja.
Note: Do the abhishek of Lord shiva with honey, milk, and Gangajal and then offer him Bel Patra/leaves. One must keep the fast from sunrise to sunset, and if they wish, the devotees can also remain silent during this time period. The Mahamrityunjaya Mantra is also chanted in this while. One you open your fast, you should distribute the prasad of Mahadev amongst the people, and then you can eat normal or Sattvik food.
The person who is fasting can eat the following, during that time period:
- Saltless Chips
- Dish made of raw banana
- Dhokla made for fast
- Sago Stew (Sabudana Khichdi)
Other Important Fasts Of The sawan Month
- Mangala Gauri Vrat:The newly married women fast on every Tuesday of the Shravan month, to ward off the negative energies.
- Varalakshmi Vrat: Married women commemorate the Varalakshmi fast, every Friday of the sawan month to ask for benediction and divine blessings for her husband and family.
- Sampat Shanivar Vrat: This fast is observed on every Saturday of the sawan month. It is believed that observing the Sampat Shanivar Vrat can help the person to get rid of all the Shani doshas vested in their kundli.
- Naag Panchami Vrat: The festival of Naag Panchami is celebrated with much ado, on the fifth day (panchami) of Shukla Paksh of the Shravan month. Worshipping snakes on this day, helps a person to eliminate the fear of snakebites.
In addition to all this, people often fast during the Shravan month for fulfillment of some special desire of theirs. The native who is fasting will eat only once during the day. If you find yourself unable to observe the aforementioned fasts as per the rituals, then you can also spend the entire shravan month, worshipping Lord Shiva regularly while eating only once a day. Doing so, will definitely help you attain the divine grace and blessings of Mahadev.
We Hope That This Article And The Information Within It About sawan 2019 Was Helpful For You! Thank You For Visiting Us!
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- Mars Transit In Taurus (10 August): Impact & Remedies
- Numerology Reveals Lucky-Unlucky Numbers & Their Significance!
- Sun Transit in Leo Soon: 4 Signs Will Benefit-3 Must Beware!
- Vaidhavya Yoga Forms In Women’s Horoscope Under These Circumstances, Must Be Careful!
- Weekly Horoscope 08-14 August, 2022: Lucky-Unlucky Signs Of The Week!
- If This Is Your Birth Date, Be Ready To Become A Millionaire!
- Numerology Weekly Horoscope 07 August-13 August, 2022
- Venus Transit In Cancer (7 August): Which Signs Will Be Lucky In Love?
- Raksha Bandhan 2022 in Auspicious Yogas: Correct Date, Legend, & Zodiac-Wise Rakhi!
- Were You Born After Sunset? Astrology Reveals Your Personality!
- वृषभ में मंगल का गोचर इन राशियों के लिए बेहद शुभ- इन जातकों के बनेंगे विवाह के योग!
- Ank Shastra: अंकों से भी होती है व्यक्तितव की पहचान, जानें क्या कहता है आपका अंक!
- सूर्य करेंगे अपनी ही सिंह राशि में गोचर, इन जातकों को मिलेगी अपने हर रोग से मुक्ति !
- महिलाओं की कुंडली में इन परिस्थितियों में बनता है वैधव्य योग, समय रहते हो जाएं सावधान!
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल 08 अगस्त से 14 अगस्त, 2022: किन राशियों को मिलेगा भाग्य का साथ?
- अंक ज्योतिष साप्ताहिक राशिफल: 07 अगस्त से 13 अगस्त, 2022
- शुक्र का कर्क राशि में गोचर: कौन सी राशियाँ होंगी प्रेम संबंधों में भाग्यशाली?
- रक्षाबंधन पर बन रहे हैं 3 शुभ योग, जानें महत्व और लाभ।
- जानें कैसा होता है सूर्यास्त के बाद जन्म लेने वाले लोगों का व्यक्तित्व!
- एक महीने में शुक्र के बैक-टू-बैक गोचर से बदल जाएगा इन राशियों का भाग्य-देश पर भी पड़ेगा प्रभाव!