Karnavedha Muhurat 2018
Karnavedha Sanskar is a religious ceremony performed to enhance the listening ability of your child as well as for their better health. Read this article to know Shubh Muhurat for this auspicious ceremony in 2018. Also know the day, date, timing, and Nakshatra best for your child’s Karnavedha Sanskar.
|9 Feb||Navami||Friday||In Anuradha Nakshatra between 14:34 - 16:55|
|21 Feb||Shashti||Wednesday||In Ashwini Nakshatra|
|5 Apr||Panchami||Thursday||In Anuradha Nakshatra|
|11 Apr||Dashami||Wednesday||In Dhanishta Nakshatra|
|20 Apr||Panchami||Friday||In Mrigashira Nakshatra|
|27 Apr||Dwadashi||Friday||In Hastha Nakshatra|
|2 May||Dvitiya||Wednesday||In Anuradha Nakshatra|
|7 May||Saptami||Monday||In Shravana Nakshatra|
|10 May||Dashami||Thursday||In Shatabhisha Nakshatra|
|11 May||Ekadashi||Friday||In Uttara Bhadrapada Nakshatra|
|14 Jun||Prathama||Thursday||In Mrigashira Nakshatra|
|15 Jun||Dvitiya||Friday||In Punarvasu Nakshatra|
|20 Jun||Ashtami||Wednesday||In Uttara Phalguni Nakshatra|
|22 Jun||Dashami||Thursday||In Chitra Nakshatra|
|29 Jun||Prathama||Friday||In Uttarashada Nakshatra|
|5 Jul||Saptami||Thursday||In Uttara Bhadrapada Nakshatra|
|9 Jul||Ekadashi||Monday||In Rohini Nakshatra|
|11 Jul||Trayodashi||Wednesday||In Mrigashira Nakshatra|
Karna means “ears” and Vedha means “to pierce”, so Karnavedha is the piercing of ears. It is the 9th Sanskar among 16 Sanskar in Hinduism. It is performed successively after Naamkaran, Annaprashan and Mundan ceremony. Karnavedha or ear piercing of a child is performed to protect them from all physical ailments and to strengthen their listening and intellectual abilities. It is performed when a child is 3, 5 or 7 years old or according to one’s family traditions. As per the customs practiced in Hindu religion, it is considered auspicious to pierce right ear of boys and left ear of girls first during Karnavedha Sanskar.
Importance of Karnavedha Sanskar and Its Benefits
As per religious beliefs, ear piercing or Karnavedha benefits a child physically and mentally. Hence, it is advised to be done before Vidyarambh Sanskar, so that, child’s intellectual ability can develop and they can acquire good education.
- It is believed that ear piercing enhances listening ability of a child and also boost intellect and creativity in them.
- Wearing ear drops or earrings (Kundal) after Karnavedha ceremony, increases beauty and agility in children.
- Karnavedha also prevents a child from diseases like Hernia and Paralysis. Other than these, it also prevents a male child from Hydrocele.
Shubh Muhurat for Karnavedha Sanskar
Auspicious Lagna, Tithi (date), month and Nakshatra are considered highly significant for a child’s Karnavedha ceremony.
- According to Dharma Sindhu, ear piercing of your child should be done either in tenth, twelfth or sixteenth day after their birth, or it should be performed in sixth, seventh, eighth, tenth or twelfth month. After that, this ceremony should be done in odd years like when your child is 1, 3 or 5 years old.
- As per the customs followed in one’s family, it is believed that Karnavedha Sanskar of a child should be performed in odd years after his/her birth.
- Karnavedha ceremony of a girl child should be done in an odd year. There is also the tradition of nose piercing of a girl child that is performed during the rituals of Karnavedha.
- As per Hindu Calendar, months of Kartik, Paush, Chaitra and Phalgun are considered auspicious for Karnavedha.
- During Karnavedha Sanskar muhurat, if Jupiter is present in ascendant (Lagna) sign Taurus, Sagittarius, Libra and Pisces of your child, this muhurat is considered highly propitious.
- Mrigashira, Rewati, Hasta, Chitra, Ashwini, Pushya, Abhijit, Anuradha, Shravana, Dhanishta and Punarvasu are considered auspicious Nakshatra for Karnavedha ceremony.
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are also rewarding for ear piercing rituals.
- Karnavedha of your child can be done in all Tithis (dates) except Chaturthi, Navami, Chaturdashi and Amavasya Tithi.
Note: Avoid performing Karnavedha ceremony during Kharmas month (time period when Sun is positioned in Sagittarius and Pisces sign), Loss of Tithi (Kshaya Tithi), from Devshayani Ekadashi till Devutthana Ekadashi (Chaturmas months) and in child’s birth month or Bhadra.
Know-How of Karnavedha Sanskar
- After worshipping all deities in a shubh muhurat, pierce the ear lobes of your child with a silver, gold or metal (Iron) wire/needle while facing the Sun. Chant the following Mantra in the ear of your child:
Vyashem Devahitam Yad-Aayuh|
- For a boy child, after chanting the mantra, first pierce his right ear lobe and then left ear lobe, and put earrings on them.
- For a girl child, first pierce her left ear lobe and then right ear lobe with a needle. Also pierce her nose on the left side and put a nose ring on it.
- To energize the brain of your child, it is beneficial to put gold tops or rings after ear and nose piercing.
- Wearing a nose ring, prevents a girl child from nasal disorders as well as prevent her from cold and cough problems.
- Wearing gold earrings (Jhumke/Kundal) also prevents a girl child from menstrual disorders and Hysteria problem.
In the context of Karnavedha there are some religious beliefs, which states that when sun rays passess through ear lobes (where piercing is done), it enters the body of the child and fills it with energy and power. This enhances and develops their intellectual ability. In Veda, men whose karnavedha ceremony was not done, are not considered eligible for performing Pitru Shradh. For this reason also, it is mandatory and quite important to perform Karnavedha Sanskar of your child.