List of Holidays 2020 in West Bengal
West Bengal holiday list 2020 sheds light on the list of festivals and important days observed by the residents of West Bengal. West Bengal is an Indian Eastern state situated alongside the Bay of Bengal. With an overall population of 91 million (approx) and innumerable cultures and beliefs residing within the state, it enjoys and celebrates the sense of festivity in full form. The famous Bengali proverb said in West Bengal is “Baro Mase Tero Parbon”, which literally translates to Thirteen Festivals in Twelve Months. Durga Puja is the most significant festival observed in West Bengal, but there are several other days and festivals celebrated with equal fervour and enthusiasm.
Below is a list of Holidays 2020 observed in West Bengal. These dates are subjected to modification in case of any official or astrological change. Hence, stay updated with the page.
How will 2020 treat you: Horoscope 2020 Predictions
West Bengal holiday list 2020
|Date & Day||Holiday|
|January 1, Wednesday||Kalpataru Utsab|
|January 12, Sunday||Swami Vivekananda Jayanti|
|January 23, Thursday||Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Jayanti|
|January 26, Sunday||Republic Day|
|January 30, Thursday||Vasant Panchami|
|February 21, Friday||Maha Shivratri|
|March 10, Tuesday||Holi or Dol Jatra|
|April 1, Wednesday||Bank Holiday|
|April 10, Friday||Good Friday|
|April 12, Sunday||Easter|
|April 14, Tuesday||Bengali New Year or Pohela Boishakh, Ambedakar Jayanti|
|May 1, Friday||May Day, Labour Day|
|May 7, Thursday||Buddha Purnima|
|May 8, Friday||Guru Rabindranath Jayanti|
|May 24, Sunday||Eid al-Fitr, Kazi Nazrul Islam Jayanti|
|June 23, Tuesday||Rath Yatra|
|July 31, Friday||Bakrid / Eid al Adha|
|August 3, Monday||Rakhi|
|August 7, Friday||Death Anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore|
|August 15, Saturday||Independence Day|
|August 20-21, Thursday-Friday||Muharram Begins|
|September 17, Thursday||Mahalaya|
|October 2, Friday||Gandhi Jayanti|
|October 23, Friday||Maha Saptami|
|October 24, Saturday||Maha Ashtami|
|October 25, Sunday||Maha Navami|
|October 26, Monday||Vijaya Dashami|
|October 31, Saturday||Lakshmi Puja|
|November 14, Saturday||Diwali or Kali Puja|
|November 16, Monday||Bhai Phonta or Bhai Dooj|
|November 30, Monday||Guru Nanak Jayanti|
|December 25, Friday||Christmas Day|
Note: These dates are subjected to change as per astrological calculations as well as government announcement. Visit this page and stay updated with the latest date and time.
List of Holidays in West Bengal
Below mentioned is a quick description of all public, regional and religious holidays observed by the public, government and the private sector. Go through their description and understand why these holidays hold high significance. However, we are not mentioning any description about public holidays , as they are prevalent all over the nation and well-known.
- Kalpataru Utsab: Kalpataru Utsab is a religious festival observed by the monks of Ramakrishna Math. On this day, devotees travel and visit the Kali Temple, Dakshineshwar annually and offer blankets and medical care to the poor.
- Swami Vivekananda Jayanti: This day commemorates the birth of a great Hindu Monk and Philosopher, Swami Vivekananda.
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Jayanti: On this auspicious day, the birth of a great Indian nationalist leader, Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose, is celebrated. He is considered as a defiant leader with a true sense of patriotism embedded into his heart. It is one of the widely observed West Bengal Holidays.
- Dol Jatra: In West Bengal, Holi is widely known as Dol Jatra or Swing Festival. The idols of Lord Krishna and Goddess Radha are placed in a beautifully-decorated palanquin, and it is taken around the city. People wear saffron or white-coloured clothes, play musical instruments and sit on the swings. Colours are applied foremost to the God and Goddess, and then to each other.
- Diwali or Kali Puja: Diwali is celebrated as the festival of lights and prosperity by the people of West Bengal. On this day, Goddess Kali is worshipped with devotion, houses are decorated and gifts are exchanged. This is one of the top names in the list of Holiday List 2020 West Bengal.
- Bengali New Year or Pohela Boishakh: Bengali New Year, also locally known as Pohela Boishakh or Noboborsho is a national and cultural West Bengal Holiday which marks the first day of the New Year for Bengalis. Mangal Shobhajatra or processions is carried out and Baishakhi Mela is organized. People visit the relatives and exchange gifts on this day.
- Guru Rabindranath Jayanti: This day marks the birth anniversary of Shri Rabindranath Tagore, and is observed as a holiday in government offices. On this day, various cultural programmes such as Kabipranam are held. People recite poems, songs and stories penned by the great Rabindranath Tagore on this day.
- Nazrul Jayanti: One of the West Bengal holiday list 2020, Nazrul Jayanti commemorates the birthday of a great poet, musician and revolutionary Kazi Nazrul Islam. Various Bengali schools and universities and government offices observe this day as a holiday.
- Rathayatra: According to Holiday List 2020 West Bengal, the chariot festival of Rath Yatra is observed as a public holiday in West Bengal, and celebrated in grandeur at Mahesh, Serampore. A magnificent fair is organized during this time, where the chariots of Lord Jagannath, Subhadra and Balarama are taken around the city.
- Mahalaya: Mahalaya is a public holiday in West Bengal and marks the beginning of the very auspicious festival Durga Puja. devotees wake up early, take a holy bath, perform puja and Tarpan rituals. The ritual of “Chokkhu Daan" is carried out, where the potters “give eyes to Maa Durga” at dawn.
- Maha Saptami till Maha Navami: The days from Maha Saptami till Maha Navami is considered highly auspicious during Durga Puja , as religious scriptures and legends of Durga are recited and the Goddess along with her incarnations is devotedly revered. Pandals are built with sky-high idols of Durga decorated and illuminated. These days are regarded as one of the significant West Bengal holiday list 2020.
- Vijaya Dashami: On the day of Vijay Dashami, widely known as Dussehra and Bijoya Dashomi in Eastern India, Durga Visarjan is conducted. The clay idols of Maa Durga is immersed in the holy rivers. Married women apply Sindoor or vermillion to each other, and sing devotional songs. Devotees carry out processions, bid an emotional goodbye to the Goddess and pray for her prosperous return.
For Astrological Remedies including Gemstones, Yantra, etc., Visit: AstroSage Online Shopping Store
We hope you have liked this article on Holiday List 2020 West Bengal. Keep visiting for latest updates.