Teej 2017 : Legend & Celebration
Teej is mainly celebrated to welcome the clouds, rain, greenery and birds with some specific rituals and customs. It is mainly observed in western and northern parts of India. On these days, women observe fast for their husbands' longevity. To know more, keep on readin...
Teej is basically a festival of Hindu women. The Hindu women observe fast on Hartalika Teej. This festival of Hariyali Teej is celebrated on the third day of Shukla Paksha or the bright Moon fortnight of the Shravan month as per the Hindu calendar. The Hartalika Teej is celebrated on the third day of bright half of Bhadrapada. The Shravan month is commonly known as Saawan. The month of Shravan mostly falls in the end of July and beginning of September. The festival of Teej is dedicated to Goddess Parvati as on this day she was united with Lord Shiva as her consort. Fasting on the festival blesses a woman with marital bliss, well being of the spouse and welfare of the children. The festival blesses one with purification of soul and body. The Teej festival lasts for 3 days and includes rigid fasting followed by sumptuous feasts.
The festival of Teej also celebrates the arrival of monsoon after the season of scorching heat.
Hartalika Teej will be celebrated on 24 August 2017. The name of the festival is believed to be originated from a red insect 'Teej' that emerges from the ground during monsoons. The legend has it that on this particular day only Devi Parvati came to Shiva's abode that marked the union of the husband and wife.
The festival of Teej symbolizes the union of Shiva and his consort Parvati. The festival is a beautiful example of wife who can sacrifice anything just to win the heart and mind of her husband. The legends also states that Goddess Parvati once carried out a painstaking fast for 108 years just to prove her love and dedication to Lord Shiva. Only after this Lord Shiva accepted her as his better half. In some scriptures it is also mentioned that she was born 107 times and on the 108th time she was born as Parvati. It was on her 108th birth that she was granted the boon to become the wife of Lord Shiva as a result of her long penance and determination. The festival of Teej is celebrated in the honor of Devi Parvati. Goddess Parvati is known as 'Teej Mata'. The women who observe fast on this auspicious day call Goddess Parvati as Teej Mata. The festival is celebrated and a fast is observed on this day to get a good husband and enjoy a blissful married life.
Hariyali Teej will be celebrated on 26 July 2017. Hariyali Teej is also known as Shravani Teej as it is celebrated in the month of Shravan. As the name says, the festival stands for greenery. On the eve of Hariyali Teej, women dress up in green clothes and wear green bangles. On Hariyali Teej, Moon is worshipped. Hariyali Teej is one among the festivals of Teej, the other being Hartalika Teej and Kajari Teej. It is believed that on first Sawan, a newly married girl must not stay at her in-law's house, but at her parents house. The mother in law of the girl gives her 'Singara'. Moon is worshipped on Hariyali Teej with curd, flowers and milk.
Hariyali Teej is celebrated with great joy by the women. They dress up beautifully, wear beautiful jewellery and take swing rides.
Kajli Teej - Kajari Teej
Kajli Teej will be celebrated on 10 August 2017. Kajli Teej is celebrated on the third day of Krishna Paksha in the month of Bhadra. Kajli Teej is extensively celebrated in Rajasthan. Cows are worshipped on Kajari Teej. The cows are fed and only after that anyone eats food. This festival is mainly celebrated in Mirzapur and Benares.
The Celebrations of Teej
Women on Teej observe fast and the festival is marked by colorful celebrations. On this day women take swing rides, sing and dance together and apply henna. Applying beautiful henna designs on the hands is the essence of this festival. Married women and unmarried girls apply henna on their hands on this festival. The houses are decorated with beautiful flowers and lights. Women also wear beautiful saris and attractive jewellery and visit temples to offer prayers to the Teej Mata or Goddess Parvati.
Prasad is prepared that includes delicious sweets and it is distributed among the women.
The festival of Teej is the celebration of wife's love and the victory of her love and dedication to her husband. In Hinduism, a wife's devotion to her husband is given utter importance and this devotion is symbolized by the union of Goddess Parvati and Lord Shiva.
Teej is a vibrant festival and it is celebrated by women wholeheartedly. Women observe fast and worship Goddess Parvati for the well being and long life of their husbands. Hartalika Teej is also celebrated by unmarried girls. They observe fast in order to get a good husband just like Shiva. Lord Shiva is believed to be a very good husband in Hinduism.
Celebrate Teej with utmost devotion and purity and seek blessings of Goddess Parvati or Teej Mata. Happy Teej!
Read Other Zodiac Sign Horoscope 2017
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- ‘Yuti Yoga’ Formation In September: Who Will Win A Lottery, Who Will Suffer?
- Pitru Paksha 2022: Avoid Consuming These Food Items During This Period, Or Else…
- Weekly Horoscope 12-18 September, 2022: Know Fortunate-Unfortunate Signs Of The Week!
- Ashwin Month 2022 Begins; Brings Many Major Hindu Fasts-Festivals!
- Numerology Weekly Horoscope 11-17 September, 2022
- Follow Your Favorite Astrologers Now, Be A Part Of Their Network
- Mercury Retrograde In Virgo: Avoid Doing These Tasks During This Period!
- Chat With Astrologers, Only On AstroSage Kundli App
- Confused About Pitru Paksha Date? Read Here For Correct Date & Shraadh Vidhi!
- AstroSage Kundli Live: Real Astrologers, Authentic Astrology
- सितंबर में बनने जा रहा है ‘युति योग’: किसे रहना होगा सावधान-किसकी लगेगी लॉटरी?
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल 12 सितंबर से 18 सितंबर, 2022: यह सप्ताह इन राशियों के लिए रहेगा बेहद शुभ।
- अंक ज्योतिष साप्ताहिक राशिफल: 11 सितंबर से 17 सितंबर, 2022
- पसंदीदा ज्योतिषियों को फॉलो करके बने उनके नेटवर्क का हिस्सा : एस्ट्रोसेज वार्ता लाइव
- कन्या राशि में वक्री बुध: इन राशियों को मिलेंगे शुभ परिणाम।
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी से चैट करें सिर्फ़ एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली ऍप पर
- तिथि को लेकर न हों कनफ्यूज़- इस दिन से शुरू है पितृ पक्ष-नोट कर लें श्राद्ध की सही विधि!
- एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली लाइव : असल ज्योतिष और असली ज्योतिषी
- कन्या में गोचर कर सूर्य अन्य ग्रहों के साथ बनाएंगे कई बड़े योग, पढ़ें सूर्य के कन्या में गोचर का प्रभाव !
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी लाइव: एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली की रिवॉल्यूशनरी पहल