Paush Purnima 2017
Paush Purnima 2017 will be celebrated on January 12. Paush Purnima comes on the full Moon day of the Magha month of the Hindu Lunar Calendar. This date is considered very auspicious to take a Holy Dip in the river.
It is believed that by taking these Holy Dips a person is freed from all the sins of this birth and the previous one. As per the Hindu religion we have to pay for all the sins we commit in all our lives. We get stuck in the vicious cycle of our own Karmas.
To break this cycle and start afresh we can observe this sacred day of Paush Purnima. Devotees from all over the country descend to the banks of various rivers and take a Holy Dip there. It is believed that this washes away all the dirt of our soul. After the Holy Dip, they perform the Surya Puja (worship of Sun) and chant Mantras.
Paush Purnima: The Legend
Paush Purnima is also celebrated as Shakambari Jayanti. On the day of Paush Purnima, Goddess Shakambari came down on Earth as the incarnation of Goddess Shakti. Goddess Shakambari is believed to be the Goddess of fruits, vegetables and leaves. As per the legends, long back there was a severe drought and it did not rain for over a hundred years. All the animals, humans and plants started to die. Seeing this, the Goddess Shakti incarnated as Shakambari Devi and showered ample rain to let the Earth regain its life. In a few temples a nine day Shakambari Navratri ends on Paush Purnima.
Paush Purnima is celebrated differently in different parts of the country. In Chhattisgarh, Paush Purnima is celebrated as Charta Puja. Also, it is the harvest festival of the agricultural state of Chhattisgarh. This Puja holds special significance for married women of East India. They go the bank of a river and pray for the long life and safety of their family. Special delicacies are prepared by all the households and people indulge in dancing and singing of folk songs.
Celebration of Paush Purnima
Lord Satyanarayana is worshipped on this day across many Krishna Temples as this day is observed as Bhadrapad Purnima. Lord Krishna is worshipped using Til (sesame seeds), Supari (betel nut), fruits, flowers, Roli and vermilion (Kumkum). Panchamrit is distributed among all the devotees. It is made of milk, Til (sesame seeds), honey, banana, Ganga Jal (Holy water of river Ganga), Tulsi (basil) and sweets. Along with Lord Krishna, Goddess Laxmi, Lord Shiva and Lord Brahma are also worshipped. People all over the country celebrate Paush Purnima by taking Holy Dips in the sacred rivers. It is believed that by doing this all the unfulfilled wishes come true and we get detached to the past sins we have done.
Spiritual Significance of Paush Purnima
It is believed that by observing this day we get rid of the past Karmas and begin a new life. The auspicious day of Paush Purnima is also known for fulfilling all the desires of the devotees. This day also marks the last full Moon day of the winter season. So, understanding the immense significance of the day, we all should use this opportunity to burn the baggage of past. While carrying the baggage of the past Karmas we are not able to live our life to the fullest. By observing festivals like Paush Purnima we can end the darkness around us and within us.
Days like Paush Purnima make us believe that we are all connected to the Universe and the changes in it affect us to a large extent. Our traditions teach us to live in synchrony and harmony with the Universe. Living with the flow makes our life much easier and simpler. These festivals are nothing but a way to tune the human kind to the rhythm of the Universe. We do not exist as separate entity and are a part of this vast Universe. Therefore, it is very significant to tune ourselves with the entire Universe.
We wish all the readers a very happy and flourishing Paush Purnima 2017! We hope that the full Moon this year will end all the sufferings of life.
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- ‘Yuti Yoga’ Formation In September: Who Will Win A Lottery, Who Will Suffer?
- Pitru Paksha 2022: Avoid Consuming These Food Items During This Period, Or Else…
- Weekly Horoscope 12-18 September, 2022: Know Fortunate-Unfortunate Signs Of The Week!
- Ashwin Month 2022 Begins; Brings Many Major Hindu Fasts-Festivals!
- Numerology Weekly Horoscope 11-17 September, 2022
- Follow Your Favorite Astrologers Now, Be A Part Of Their Network
- Mercury Retrograde In Virgo: Avoid Doing These Tasks During This Period!
- Chat With Astrologers, Only On AstroSage Kundli App
- Confused About Pitru Paksha Date? Read Here For Correct Date & Shraadh Vidhi!
- AstroSage Kundli Live: Real Astrologers, Authentic Astrology
- सितंबर में बनने जा रहा है ‘युति योग’: किसे रहना होगा सावधान-किसकी लगेगी लॉटरी?
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल 12 सितंबर से 18 सितंबर, 2022: यह सप्ताह इन राशियों के लिए रहेगा बेहद शुभ।
- अंक ज्योतिष साप्ताहिक राशिफल: 11 सितंबर से 17 सितंबर, 2022
- पसंदीदा ज्योतिषियों को फॉलो करके बने उनके नेटवर्क का हिस्सा : एस्ट्रोसेज वार्ता लाइव
- कन्या राशि में वक्री बुध: इन राशियों को मिलेंगे शुभ परिणाम।
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी से चैट करें सिर्फ़ एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली ऍप पर
- तिथि को लेकर न हों कनफ्यूज़- इस दिन से शुरू है पितृ पक्ष-नोट कर लें श्राद्ध की सही विधि!
- एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली लाइव : असल ज्योतिष और असली ज्योतिषी
- कन्या में गोचर कर सूर्य अन्य ग्रहों के साथ बनाएंगे कई बड़े योग, पढ़ें सूर्य के कन्या में गोचर का प्रभाव !
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी लाइव: एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली की रिवॉल्यूशनरी पहल