Dussehra in 2017
The forces of good and evil keep working around us; one has to learn to make a choice. Indeed, making a conscious choice of good over evil is a habit that needs constant practice. Every year, the celebrations of Dussehra (Vijayadashami) remind us that the light of truth can overshadow the darkest evil.
Dussehra (Vijayadashami, Dasara, or Dashain) 2017 date is September 30. Dussehra is celebrated on the tenth day of Shukla Paksha of Ashwayuja or Ashwin month as per the traditional Hindu calendar. For years, Dussehra has been celebrated to commemorate the victory of good over evil. It is a significant day that carries a beautiful message for mankind that even though other things may change, truth is here to stay.
Dussehra is celebrated in different ways in different part of India. In some parts, Hindus attend special prayer meetings during Dussehra and some organize special food offerings to deities at home or in temples. Burning the effigies of Ravana (a mythical king of Sri Lanka) or burning bonfire (symbolic of Ravana) is a common practice that resonates the message that mankind can progress only if they choose positive and righteous deeds over evil practices. In a way, one can say that Dussehra is a culmination of Navratri festival. The nine days of Navratri are dedicated to Shakti symbolic of energy and the purpose of Navratri fast is open the three knots- rudra granthi, brahma granthi and Vishnu granthi to attain self purification. For those who observe Navratri, Dussehra will mean the ultimate triumph over the evil forces within and without. So, this day is also known as - Vijayadashami.
Like every year, Dussehra in 2017 will also be marked with unique kinds of festivities all over India, which have become popular over years locally. Performances of the Ramlila (a visual version of the epic Ramayana) are very popular in Northern India. Ramlila plays are based on the life of Lord Rama and his journey from birth to 14-years of exile in the forest with his wife Sita. Depicting Sita's abduction by Ravana, the tale ends with Lord Rama and Lakshman killing Ravana. In Mysore and Karnataka, people rejoice joining a festival procession including goddess Chamundeshwari on a throne mounted on elephants. In Karnataka, Dussehra is an occasion to seek the blessings of Shakti on household tools, books, computers and other machinery that one uses in day to day life. In Bengal, Vijayadashami or Dussehra marks the end of festivities of Durga Puja. The four-day Durga Puja festival in West Bengal end with people celebrating Vijayadashami which marks Goddess Durga's return to her husband's home. However, before the immersion of the idols of Maa Durga, women engage in 'sindoor khela' (application of vermilion on each other's forehead) and extend greetings to friends and relatives. Dussehra is celebrated in a special manner in the state of Gujarat. Garba dance functions and the Navratras get over with Vijayadashami. Out of all the fairs organized during Dussehra the most popular is the one organized in Himachal Pradesh. It is known as 'Kullu Dussehra Mela'. Worship of Lord Raghunath, dance, drama and the traditional folk music of the flute and the bugle fill the air and make Dussehra, a memorable experience. The Kulu mela during Dussehra, like every year will be attended by many foreigners. They too will get a chance to experience the vast diversity of Indian tradition and culture.
Dussehra is very auspicious day to start all kind of things important, new and significant. One can go ahead with things like buying new machinery for their home, purchase gold, silver and vehicles. Discarding the old and welcoming the new is auspicious on Vijayadashami. One need not look up the panchang or consult an astrologer because the entire day in itself is auspicious from astrological point of view.
Dussehra is a great time to involve yourself in celebrating the power of good. Indeed, it is true that evil can never win the battle against the good. On Dussehra remove the negative ideas that prevails inside you and be the part of goodness.
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- ‘Yuti Yoga’ Formation In September: Who Will Win A Lottery, Who Will Suffer?
- Pitru Paksha 2022: Avoid Consuming These Food Items During This Period, Or Else…
- Weekly Horoscope 12-18 September, 2022: Know Fortunate-Unfortunate Signs Of The Week!
- Ashwin Month 2022 Begins; Brings Many Major Hindu Fasts-Festivals!
- Numerology Weekly Horoscope 11-17 September, 2022
- Follow Your Favorite Astrologers Now, Be A Part Of Their Network
- Mercury Retrograde In Virgo: Avoid Doing These Tasks During This Period!
- Chat With Astrologers, Only On AstroSage Kundli App
- Confused About Pitru Paksha Date? Read Here For Correct Date & Shraadh Vidhi!
- AstroSage Kundli Live: Real Astrologers, Authentic Astrology
- सितंबर में बनने जा रहा है ‘युति योग’: किसे रहना होगा सावधान-किसकी लगेगी लॉटरी?
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल 12 सितंबर से 18 सितंबर, 2022: यह सप्ताह इन राशियों के लिए रहेगा बेहद शुभ।
- अंक ज्योतिष साप्ताहिक राशिफल: 11 सितंबर से 17 सितंबर, 2022
- पसंदीदा ज्योतिषियों को फॉलो करके बने उनके नेटवर्क का हिस्सा : एस्ट्रोसेज वार्ता लाइव
- कन्या राशि में वक्री बुध: इन राशियों को मिलेंगे शुभ परिणाम।
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी से चैट करें सिर्फ़ एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली ऍप पर
- तिथि को लेकर न हों कनफ्यूज़- इस दिन से शुरू है पितृ पक्ष-नोट कर लें श्राद्ध की सही विधि!
- एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली लाइव : असल ज्योतिष और असली ज्योतिषी
- कन्या में गोचर कर सूर्य अन्य ग्रहों के साथ बनाएंगे कई बड़े योग, पढ़ें सूर्य के कन्या में गोचर का प्रभाव !
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी लाइव: एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली की रिवॉल्यूशनरी पहल