Vat Savitri Vrat 2017
Vat Savitri Vrat 2017 Date
As the name signifies, Vat Savitri Vrat is a fast which is observed by the married Hindu women for safety and success of their husbands and children. Vat Savitri Vrat 2017 falls on 25th of May. The fasting derives its base from Satyavan Savitri Katha, according to which Savitri displayed great devotion and determination to get her husband Satyavan back from the grip of Yama i.e. God of death. The legend behind this day is envisaged in the Mahabharata. Vat Savitri Puja is noticed either at the community level or individually at home.
Basically, Vat Savitri Vrat spans for a time period of 3 days, which starts on the day of Trayodashi and ends on the day of Amavasya or Poornima. The Vat Savitri fast is observed for three nights and the fast is broken on the fourth day. But, nowadays women observe this fast only on the significant day of Amavasya. Generally, in North India Vat Savitri Vrat is celebrated on the day of Amavasya in the Jyeshtha month of Hindu lunar calendar. On the other hand, it is celebrated on the day of Poornima in the Jyeshtha month of HIndu lunar calendar. Women who are pregnant, those who are suffering from some kind of ailment or disease and those who have given birth to their child usually skip this fast and they just focus on the prayers.
VAT SAVITRI VRAT PUJA VIDHI
If we dive deep into the significance of the day, the Puja Vidhi for Vat Savitri Vrat is as follows-
- Women on the day of Trayodashi wake up early in the morning, apply paste of amla (indian gooseberry) and gingelly (sesamum) and then they take bath.
- After taking bath, women eat the roots of Vat Vriksha (Banyan Tree) and drink water. Moreover, many women eat the same for all the three days.
- On this auspicious occasion, women worship the Banyan Tree (Vat Vriksha) and after reverencing the Banyan tree, they tie a red or yellow coloured thread around the tree.
- Water, rice and flowers are proffered to the Banyan tree as a part of the Puja.
- Women move around the tree making a parikrama for seven times and simultaneously chanting the prayers.
- The Banyan tree or the Vat Vriksha exemplifies Trimurtis- Brahma (Lord Brahma), Vishnu (Lord Vishnu) and Mahesh (Lord Shiva). The root of the tree symbolises Lord Brahma, the stem of the tree indicates Lord Vishnu and the upper part of the tree epitomizes Lord Shiva.
On the occasion of Vat Savitri Vrat, women observe fast for their husbands and wear bridal dresses & jewellery. After breaking their fast, fruits, clothes are given to the Brahmins in a bamboo basket.
LEGEND BEHIND VAT SAVITRI VRAT
The story of Vat Savitri has been described in the Hindu epic Mahabharata. Savitri was the daughter of the King of Madra Desa, Aswapati. Savitri chose Satyavan as her husband, whose death was destined within a year. Being resolute in her thoughts, Savitri married Satyavan and she observed a three day fast before the desired date of her husband's death. However, when Satyavan died after falling from a tree and Yamaraja i.e. God of death came to take his soul, Savitri followed him. Savitri tricked Lord Yama and impelled him to spare the life of Satyavan.
On the occasion of Vat Savitri Vrat, the devotees reverence the 'Vat' i.e. the Banyan tree. According to the Hindu scriptures, Banyan tree epitomizes 'Trimurtis' namely Lord Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. However, the whole of the Banyan tree i.e. the 'Vat' symbolises 'Savitri'. Married women throughout the country observe fast on this particular day to ensure good health and longevity of their husbands and also venerate to enhance the fate & success in the life of their husbands.
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- ‘Yuti Yoga’ Formation In September: Who Will Win A Lottery, Who Will Suffer?
- Pitru Paksha 2022: Avoid Consuming These Food Items During This Period, Or Else…
- Weekly Horoscope 12-18 September, 2022: Know Fortunate-Unfortunate Signs Of The Week!
- Ashwin Month 2022 Begins; Brings Many Major Hindu Fasts-Festivals!
- Numerology Weekly Horoscope 11-17 September, 2022
- Follow Your Favorite Astrologers Now, Be A Part Of Their Network
- Mercury Retrograde In Virgo: Avoid Doing These Tasks During This Period!
- Chat With Astrologers, Only On AstroSage Kundli App
- Confused About Pitru Paksha Date? Read Here For Correct Date & Shraadh Vidhi!
- AstroSage Kundli Live: Real Astrologers, Authentic Astrology
- सितंबर में बनने जा रहा है ‘युति योग’: किसे रहना होगा सावधान-किसकी लगेगी लॉटरी?
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल 12 सितंबर से 18 सितंबर, 2022: यह सप्ताह इन राशियों के लिए रहेगा बेहद शुभ।
- अंक ज्योतिष साप्ताहिक राशिफल: 11 सितंबर से 17 सितंबर, 2022
- पसंदीदा ज्योतिषियों को फॉलो करके बने उनके नेटवर्क का हिस्सा : एस्ट्रोसेज वार्ता लाइव
- कन्या राशि में वक्री बुध: इन राशियों को मिलेंगे शुभ परिणाम।
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी से चैट करें सिर्फ़ एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली ऍप पर
- तिथि को लेकर न हों कनफ्यूज़- इस दिन से शुरू है पितृ पक्ष-नोट कर लें श्राद्ध की सही विधि!
- एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली लाइव : असल ज्योतिष और असली ज्योतिषी
- कन्या में गोचर कर सूर्य अन्य ग्रहों के साथ बनाएंगे कई बड़े योग, पढ़ें सूर्य के कन्या में गोचर का प्रभाव !
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी लाइव: एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली की रिवॉल्यूशनरी पहल