Baisakhi is observed in Punjab by the Sikhs. In 2017, it will be marked on 14th of April. It is the Sikh New Year as per our Hindu Solar Calendar. It is celebrated to commemorate the establishment of Khalsa. Farmers celebrate this festival to thank God for the good harvesting of crops. Want to know more about this occasion? If yes, read on..
The very word Baisakhi is derived from the Hindu month of Vaisakha (April-May), a time when the farmer returns home with his bumper crop that is a reward for all that he has put in .The skies of Punjab and Haryana echo the call of joy that says "Jatta aai Baisakhi". This colourful festival becomes all the more colourful with people of Punjab attired in their traditional clothes breaking into the energetic Bhangra dance to express their joy.
Baisakhi is in a way a day of thanksgiving by farmers who pray for good and happy times and thanks God for the abundant harvest. It is New Year in Punjab and Haryana which is celebrated with dancing and singing and by enjoying the good food and great time. Gifts are exchanged with near dear ones on this auspicious festival. These gifts are nothing but a token of love, trust and brotherhood at the arrival of Harvest season.
Local contest like that of the dancers and drummers are organized to challenge each other and in this way there is celebration all around. The scenes of sowing, harvesting, winnowing and gathering of crops are expressed through zestful movements of the body with people dancing to the tune of folk music. To add to the festive mood fairs are organized at various places in Punjab, where besides other recreational activities people indulge in eating all kinds of delicacies. Festivities such as the Bhangra dance by men, who pound the ground with vigorous steps accompanied by singing. Women also break into revelry of dances, principally the Gidda dance, executed to perfection.
The occasion is celebrated with great gusto at Talwandi Sabo; where Guru Gobind Singh stayed for nine months and completed the recompilation of the Guru Granth Sahib. The Sikhs celebrate this day by visiting Gurdwaras and distributing Kada Prasad. Processions led by the Panj Piaras or the five religious men are taken out. Kirtans and recital of passages from the Granth Sahib are also organized in Gurdwaras, where people line up to receive the delicious prasad and perform Kar Sewa-that is, offering help in the daily chores of the Gurdwara.
Significance of Baisakhi
- Baisakhi has a special meaning for the Sikhs. On this day in 1699, their tenth Guru Gobind Singh organized the order of the Khalsa and administered amrit (nectar) to his first batch of five disciples making them Singhs, a martial community.
- On this day in 1875, Swami Dayanand Saraswati founded the Arya Samaj-a reformed sect of Hindus who are devoted to the Vedas for spiritual guidance and have discarded idol worship.
- This day is once again of immense religious import to the Buddhists because Gautama Buddha attained enlightenment and Nirvana on this auspicious day.
The Baisakhi Mela is not restricted to Punjab, there are Sikhs and Punjabis staying in other parts of the world too so it's celebrated all over the globe. The Baisakhi fairs organized abroad also witness the presence of Indian singers and actors. It is the major high level of energy and excitement that pulls people towards the mela. Culture and community barriers are pushed away for everyone to be a part of this celebration. The Baisakhi mela celebrations are open for everyone irrespective of whom you are and where you come from.
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- ‘Yuti Yoga’ Formation In September: Who Will Win A Lottery, Who Will Suffer?
- Pitru Paksha 2022: Avoid Consuming These Food Items During This Period, Or Else…
- Weekly Horoscope 12-18 September, 2022: Know Fortunate-Unfortunate Signs Of The Week!
- Ashwin Month 2022 Begins; Brings Many Major Hindu Fasts-Festivals!
- Numerology Weekly Horoscope 11-17 September, 2022
- Follow Your Favorite Astrologers Now, Be A Part Of Their Network
- Mercury Retrograde In Virgo: Avoid Doing These Tasks During This Period!
- Chat With Astrologers, Only On AstroSage Kundli App
- Confused About Pitru Paksha Date? Read Here For Correct Date & Shraadh Vidhi!
- AstroSage Kundli Live: Real Astrologers, Authentic Astrology
- सितंबर में बनने जा रहा है ‘युति योग’: किसे रहना होगा सावधान-किसकी लगेगी लॉटरी?
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल 12 सितंबर से 18 सितंबर, 2022: यह सप्ताह इन राशियों के लिए रहेगा बेहद शुभ।
- अंक ज्योतिष साप्ताहिक राशिफल: 11 सितंबर से 17 सितंबर, 2022
- पसंदीदा ज्योतिषियों को फॉलो करके बने उनके नेटवर्क का हिस्सा : एस्ट्रोसेज वार्ता लाइव
- कन्या राशि में वक्री बुध: इन राशियों को मिलेंगे शुभ परिणाम।
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी से चैट करें सिर्फ़ एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली ऍप पर
- तिथि को लेकर न हों कनफ्यूज़- इस दिन से शुरू है पितृ पक्ष-नोट कर लें श्राद्ध की सही विधि!
- एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली लाइव : असल ज्योतिष और असली ज्योतिषी
- कन्या में गोचर कर सूर्य अन्य ग्रहों के साथ बनाएंगे कई बड़े योग, पढ़ें सूर्य के कन्या में गोचर का प्रभाव !
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी लाइव: एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली की रिवॉल्यूशनरी पहल