Durga Puja 2017 Date
Goddess Durga is personified as a wonderful warrior. She is the deity of power, seated on Lion. Her immense power is commemorated on the sacred occasion of Durga Puja. Celebration of Durga Puja is a beautiful auspicious occasion to delight this Goddess. Durga puja remarks the emergence of Goddess Durga on earth. Know here how people majestically celebrate Durga Puja. Read legends behind it.
The grand festival of Hindus Durga Puja in 2017 will be celebrated from September 26 to September 30. The 10th day of Shukla Paksha in the Hindu month of Ashwin is regarded as Vijayadashami. Durga Puja is a nine-night festival, which is incredibly celebrated in all parts of India, especially in West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Gujarat, and other regions of India. In other parts of India, this festival is vivaciously celebrated with name 'Navratri or Navratra'. Durga Puja is one of auspicious and pious occasions dedicated to Goddess Durga. Worshiping Goddess Durga during Durga puja bestows innumerable benefits and prosperous result. Nine forms of Durga are worshiped during nine days of Durga Puja. But the grand celebration is seen on 7th, 8th and 9th day of Durga Puja, which is esteemed as 'Maha Saptami, Maha Ashtami and Maha Navami'. With loud melodious music, songs and wonderful religious dances devotees delight Maa Durga during Durga Puja.
Legends associated to Durga Puja
Goddess Durga is embodiment of Maa Shakti and regarded as the Goddess of power. When the earth was under the terrible tyranny of devil Mahishasura, Goddess Durga entered on earth and killed this demon. Since then, Durga Puja is majestically celebrated to commemorate triumph of good over evil that Maa Durga did. Likewise, there are innumerable legends associated to Durga Puja that are mentioned in Hindu mythology. Moreover, nine forms of Durga are worshiped during nine days of Durga Puja. Devi Lakshmi and Saraswati are also worshiped with Devi Shakti. As per Hindu mythology, Goddess Durga is a wonderful warrior. She is seated upon a lion. Goddess Durga is personification of Devi Shakti who entered on earth for removing terror of asura, the giant monsters. Her emergence on earth was only for the purpose to get triumph of good over evil. Therefore, Goddess Durga finished powerful asura like Shumbh Nishumbh, Chand Munda, Madhu Kaitabha, and other giant monsters who terrified not only Swarga but the entire earth. Personifications of Goddess Shakti emerged on earth with innumerable names Mahamaya, Kali, Chandika, Vaishnodevi, and so on. Maa Durga or Shakti has thousands of Avatar and all incarnations disclose great power of Maa Shakti. On the sacred occasion of Navratri or Durga Puja, people commemorate immense power and grace of Goddess Durga. Main nine forms of Durga are Shailputri, Brahmacharini, Chandraghanta, Kushmanda, Skandamata, Katyayini, Kalratri, Gauri, and Siddhidatri. These all personifications of Maa Shakti are spiritually worshiped during Durga Puja.
How Durga puja is celebrated?
Devotees are really vivacious for grand celebration of Durga puja. Different rituals and customs are performed in different region of India during Durga Puja. In North India, Durga Puja is celebrated as Navratri. People of Northern States observe fast till 9 days during Navratri. Some devotees do not cut hair or shave during Navratri. People also avoid non-vegetarian meals, onion and garlic. On beginning of the day, religious people establish kalash and plant barley seeds on a pot called 'Ghatasthapana'. For ghatasthapana, devotes clean and decorate particular shrine place at corner of home towards North-East direction. Till nine days, water is given to pot until it becomes the plant. Nine forms of Goddess Durga is worshiped during nine days and night in Navratri. Durga Path, Durga Stuti, Durga Mantra, Durga Chalisa, Durga Saptshati Path and other Invocations are recited or chanted to delight Goddess Durga. Devotees observe fast and worship goddess Shakti with depth of their heart and soul. On the ninth day, Kanya poojan is performed for the successful completion of Navratri fast. Some people observe fast on first and seventh or eighth day, and complete their customs on end of Navratri with Kanya Poojan. In Kanya Poojan, small girls are fed blessed food and are offered with special donation and gifts.
In some regions like West Bengal, Durga Puja is performed till ten days. A grand large statue of Goddess Durga is established on mid of ground and worshiped religiously throughout the Durga puja. Devotees delight Goddess Durga by performing religious dance, sing melodious songs, and offer vivid varieties of fruits, flowers, and blessed food. Durga Puja in Kolkata is very popular. In Gujarat, Gujaratis wear heart-touching colorful traditional dress like ghaghra-choli, and incredibly perform Garba and dandiya dance to please Goddess Durga in all nine nights during Navratri.
May Durga Puja bring immense joy in your life! May Goddess Durga bestow her grace and enormous blessing to you!
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- ‘Yuti Yoga’ Formation In September: Who Will Win A Lottery, Who Will Suffer?
- Pitru Paksha 2022: Avoid Consuming These Food Items During This Period, Or Else…
- Weekly Horoscope 12-18 September, 2022: Know Fortunate-Unfortunate Signs Of The Week!
- Ashwin Month 2022 Begins; Brings Many Major Hindu Fasts-Festivals!
- Numerology Weekly Horoscope 11-17 September, 2022
- Follow Your Favorite Astrologers Now, Be A Part Of Their Network
- Mercury Retrograde In Virgo: Avoid Doing These Tasks During This Period!
- Chat With Astrologers, Only On AstroSage Kundli App
- Confused About Pitru Paksha Date? Read Here For Correct Date & Shraadh Vidhi!
- AstroSage Kundli Live: Real Astrologers, Authentic Astrology
- सितंबर में बनने जा रहा है ‘युति योग’: किसे रहना होगा सावधान-किसकी लगेगी लॉटरी?
- साप्ताहिक राशिफल 12 सितंबर से 18 सितंबर, 2022: यह सप्ताह इन राशियों के लिए रहेगा बेहद शुभ।
- अंक ज्योतिष साप्ताहिक राशिफल: 11 सितंबर से 17 सितंबर, 2022
- पसंदीदा ज्योतिषियों को फॉलो करके बने उनके नेटवर्क का हिस्सा : एस्ट्रोसेज वार्ता लाइव
- कन्या राशि में वक्री बुध: इन राशियों को मिलेंगे शुभ परिणाम।
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी से चैट करें सिर्फ़ एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली ऍप पर
- तिथि को लेकर न हों कनफ्यूज़- इस दिन से शुरू है पितृ पक्ष-नोट कर लें श्राद्ध की सही विधि!
- एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली लाइव : असल ज्योतिष और असली ज्योतिषी
- कन्या में गोचर कर सूर्य अन्य ग्रहों के साथ बनाएंगे कई बड़े योग, पढ़ें सूर्य के कन्या में गोचर का प्रभाव !
- सर्टिफाइड ज्योतिषी लाइव: एस्ट्रोसेज कुंडली की रिवॉल्यूशनरी पहल