Dhan Teras 2017: The Festival of Dhanteras
Dhanteras 2017 is falling on 17th of October. As per the traditional Hindu calendar, Dhanteras is celebrated on the thirteenth day of waning moon in the Kartik month. This day is known to bless people with wealth, luxury and well being. Generally, this festival is celebrated two days before Diwali and it is a day that also marks the birth of Lord Dhanvantari (God of medicine, in Hindu Mythology). This year, Lakshmi Puja on Dhanteras or what some choose to call - Dhantrayodashi should be done during Pradosh Kaal which will begin from 17:50:03 and will end at 20:20:44.
Like every year, this year too the occasion of Dhanteras 2017 will see people all over the country (especially North India) indulge in shopping precious metals like gold and silver, as it is believed that these metals are very auspicious. So, this day is very significant for jewelers as women flock their shops to buy whatever suits their pocket best. While families will be celebrating Dhanteras to bring home wealth and prosperity, the business houses will celebrate the occasion to be blessed with success and profit all year through. This is one occasion that the jewelers wait for and offer attractive schemes to lure customers. Those who cannot afford buying the expensive metals will be buying new utensils for their kitchen for this Dhanteras; it's considered lucky for financial stability.
Well, here it is important to note that the word Dhanteras comes from two Hindu word 'Dhan' which literally means wealth and 'Trayodashi' means 13th day. It is believed that worshipping Goddess Lakshmi on Dhanteras brings prosperity in the lives of devotees. To welcome goddess Lakshmi home, this Dhanteras, keep the doors of the homes and offices decorated with flowers, lights and rangolis. Worship Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Dhanteras to seek blessings. The mantra that you will find useful to invoke Lord Dhanvantari is :
"Om Namo Bhagavate Maha Sudharshana Vasudevaya Dhanvantaraye;
Amrutha Kalasa Hasthaya, Sarva Bhaya Vinasaya, Sarva Roga Nivaranaya
Thri Lokya Pathaye, Thri Lokya Nithaye, Sri Maha Vishnu Swarupa, Sri Dhanvantri Swarupa
Sri Sri Sri Aoushata Chakra Narayana Swaha"
The Mantra to call Goddess Lakshmi is:
Aum shree aum durga aum
Hari aum mahalakshmi namaha
Thirumal maarbil vaazhum lakshmi
Sree vaikundam aalum lakshmi
Thevargal pottrum maha lakshmi
Thiruvarul puriya veettukku vaa
Since the day, from when the day of Dhanteras came to be known as the day of "Yamadeepdaan" the lamps are kept burning throughout the night in reverential adoration to Lord Yama, the god of Death. Even today every home of India will be found with lamps-Diyas lit for five main days of Diwali festival throughout the world.
Starting from Dhanteras till the five main days of Diwali almost every Hindu will light at least one lamp at the main entrance and take special care to keep it burning all through the night. This is done in reverential adoration to Lord Yama ( the god of death). Legend has it that King Hima's son was cursed to die on the fourth day of his marriage by snake bite. When the young prince's wife got to know this she decided to safeguard her husband. The fourth night of her marriage she did not let her husband sleep and placed all her jewellery at the entrance door. Yam disguised as a serpent got blinded by the dazzle of jewellery and mesmerized by her singing spent the whole night on the heap of jewellery. Next morning he left, and the prince was safe.Since then this ritual of lighting a diya at the main entrance for five days of diwali starting from Dhanteras.
Here are some things to do this Dhanteras 2017:
- After performing Puja in the evening, light clay lamps to drive away the shadows of evil spirits.
- During pooja invoke Goddess Lakshmi with "Bhajans" - devotional songs
- Offer "Naivedya" a peda made milk to Goddess Lakshmi.
- Bring home new utensil or metal items on this day as it will bring prosperity.
- To get all round success in life, knowledge, wealth and well being bring home coins of silver with the image of Goddess Saraswati, Ganesh and Lakshmi .
- In south India cows are beautifully decorated and offered venerations as they are considered symbol of Goddess Lakshmi.
- In case you're planning to set a new business, start a new project and buy a new vehicle or fix a wedding date - Dhanteras is the best occasion to do so.
Dhanteras is a pure festival that blesses a person with abundant wealth and prosperity. People worship Almighty and also express their gratitude for all the things and happiness that they posses. With this we wish you a very happy Dhanteras...
Astrological services for accurate answers and better feature
Astrological remedies to get rid of your problems
AstroSage on MobileAll Mobile Apps
- Horoscope 2023
- राशिफल 2023
- Calendar 2023
- Holidays 2023
- Chinese Horoscope 2023
- Education Horoscope 2023
- Purnima 2023
- Amavasya 2023
- Shubh Muhurat 2023
- Marriage Muhurat 2023
- Chinese Calendar 2023
- Bank Holidays 2023
- राशि भविष्य 2023 - Rashi Bhavishya 2023 Marathi
- ராசி பலன் 2023 - Rasi Palan 2023 Tamil
- వార్షిక రాశి ఫలాలు 2023 - Rasi Phalalu 2023 Telugu
- રાશિફળ 2023 - Rashifad 2023
- ജാതകം 2023 - Jathakam 2023 Malayalam
- ৰাশিফল 2023 - Rashifal 2023 Assamese
- ରାଶିଫଳ 2023 - Rashiphala 2023 Odia
- রাশিফল 2023 - Rashifol 2023 Bengali
- ವಾರ್ಷಿಕ ರಾಶಿ ಭವಿಷ್ಯ 2023 - Rashi Bhavishya 2023 Kannada